Home > Education > Top Salespeople - Are They Born or Made?

Top Salespeople - Are They Born or Made?

In various sales circles there seems to be more than a few opinions on this topic. What say you? Are top salespeople born or made? - by Community Mailbox
Top salespeople are definitely made. When I started out in the world of sales I was so bad at selling I couldn't even sell to the people who walked in wanting to buy.

I called one of the customers after getting off work and they told me I was so bad that I needed a coach or something. They walked in wanting to buy but after talking to me they changed their mind.
It wasn't until I started working on myself through self improvement that I achieved the title of top producer. It was a long hard road but very rewarding. So I would say top salespeople are made. - by Cedric
In various sales circles there seems to be more than a few opinions on this topic. What say you? Are top salespeople born or made?
In my opinion, this is not an either/or situation. With that being said, I believe more times than not top salespeople are made, not born. - by Jeff Blackwell
I think there are clearly personality attributes which can make it easier for certain people to excel in sales, however, at the end of the day top peformers are generally made.

Unfortunately I think many sales organizations still believe in the myth of the natural born salesperson which means that sales training isn't as solid as it could be and many new reps can take much longer to develop than necessary or just end up leaving sales altogether. - by kenpo1980
Top sales people are definitely the result of good training. If any sales person understands and practices the basics, he will succeed. - by TonyB
Top sales people are definitely the result of good training. If any sales person understands and practices the basics, he will succeed.
Tony, can you give some examples of what you consider the basics? - by Gary A Boye
Tony, can you give some examples of what you consider the basics?
  • Ask questions that encourage prospects to reveal their true needs.
  • Uncover and address hidden objections – often the only real objection.
  • Identify false objections
  • Use a “trial close” to overcome obstacles.
  • Identify the needs of all the “key buyers”.
  • Create a sales activity plan to ensure success.
- by TonyB
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.