Home > Personal Development > Sales mindset: What is it and how do you develop it?

Sales mindset: What is it and how do you develop it?

Title has it. I'd really like to improve in this field. Maybe you guys can help.. :) - by ken014
Title has it. I'd really like to improve in this field. Maybe you guys can help.. :)
That's an interesting question. Here's my answer:

Never lie to yourself. That's a very common practice among a lot of people in sales, and, it leads to underachieving and failure.

How do you develop that discipline? You do that by relentless honesty and the courage to push aside your ego when you're tripping over it.

When you achieve that mindset, you will think clearly. You'll recognize opportunity where it exists and not drift into areas where opportunity is only an illusion--because the grasping of illusions is just another way of lying to yourself.. - by Gary A Boye
How do you develop that discipline? You do that by relentless honesty and the courage to push aside your ego when you're tripping over it. --Gary Boye

There is great depth to this concept Gary. Please elaborate. - by Jeff Blackwell
How do you develop that discipline? You do that by relentless honesty and the courage to push aside your ego when you're tripping over it. --Gary Boye

There is great depth to this concept Gary. Please elaborate.
It's a topic that goes way beyond selling, Jeff, but inasmuch as it effects the livelihood, earnings, security, future, and true satisfaction of people in sales, nowhere is it more applicable. It could create a discussion here that could go on and on, because being truthful to oneself has been addressed for centuries by spiritual leaders, psychologists, great thinkers, and yes--Shakespeare.

I'm none of those, so I'll add the following thoughts for elaboration. And, by the way, if you look with a discerning eye as you review the thousands of posts on SalesPractice, you'll see evidence of the topic.

People are governed internally in ways that effect their external reality. I think most people know that. We can see ourselves as we truly are and what we are in relationship to the world. In sales, that means taking a hard look at our strengths and weaknesses, our assumptions, our current environment, our relationships, and, the control we currently possess over our lives.

We can also focus on who we pretend to be--that mask that psychologists call persona. We all have that. We might exaggerate, embellish, or, in a worst case scenario, create an entitlement contract with "greatness", and act the part that we have not earned through preparedness.

We can also focus on who we WANT to be, and here we are on the right path, because it's a path of learning, preparedness, and clear thinking.

When a salesperson connects who he/she is with who he/she wants to be, and is able to shove aside the pretender and lies that accompany the pretender, that person will have the "mindset" to complete the authentic journey. - by Gary A Boye
Excellent insight Gary. Thank you! - by Jeff Blackwell
Hi Jeff and Gary,

I find this subject very interesting and I suggest interested Sales Professionals add their thoughts so as to keep this thread alive.

I myself came into the Marketing field because I have 2 websites that have something useful to offer-I hope!.I also have undergone real estate sales training a few years back and have some experience in commercial and residential property marketing.

The main challenge I have come across is how to define my target market or niche that matches what I am selling perfectly.

I would welcome your thoughts on that subject. - by ehope
Your mindset has to be nurtured by yourself and those around you.
  1. Get out of bed and love the job you go out to.
  2. If you want to be sucessful dress and act as you are sucessful
  3. look in the mirror every day and set your target and be positive
  4. Celebrate the wins as well as the losses, the hardest thing for a seles persons mind is the rejection. Learn to deal and not dwell
  5. Look back at each day, when it is done thank what ever god you have be it religion, money, family for the ability to be in control of your own destiny whilst earning a damd good living. You could be sleeping under yesterdays news wondering wher the next feed is going to come from.
  6. Associate with positive people. Let the knockers go out of your life.
  7. MOST OF ALL LOVE THE PROFESSION OF SELLING AND THE THRILL OF THE SALE, IT IS BETTER THAN ANY DRUG.
- by Jeff2155
My 2cents.

I think the magic word for this topic would be "Develop a habbit".

If I am not mistaken, I heard this before from somewhere.

Mindset comes from a set of cultures & believes.
Culture & believe comes from a practice.
A practice is doing something the same way over & over again aka HABBIT.

So to change your mindset or develop a new mindset. Go back to the basic. Thats is to develop a Habbit.

IMHO thanks. - by leoych
My 2cents.

I think the magic word for this topic would be "Develop a habbit".

If I am not mistaken, I heard this before from somewhere.

Mindset comes from a set of cultures & believes.
Culture & believe comes from a practice.
A practice is doing something the same way over & over again aka HABBIT.

So to change your mindset or develop a new mindset. Go back to the basic. Thats is to develop a Habbit.

IMHO thanks.
Why do you believe that "culture & believe (sic) comes from a practice?"

Certainly it would make sense the other way around. Example: A practice comes from culture and belief. - by Gary A Boye
Sales starts with attitude and effort. For me it is the foundation that everything else is built on. If you believe you will achieve. I also believe you have to be totally committed to whatever your selling and stand by what you say. You have take responsibility for everything you do, no one else can do that for you.

I constantly read and practice the principles of selling to maintain that positive mindset and strive to be better than the day before! - by libbycop
Successful Sales people have in common the the set of 'skills of sales success' - qualities of confidence, perseverance, positive thinking, self motivation, drive, people and interpersonal skills, empathy, creativity, good communication and can 'create deals'. Qualities of sales success are qualities for success in general in life. So develop yourself these qualities. - by amuthanjrv
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.