Home > Cold Calling > Cold call for pest control service

Cold call for pest control service

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie here in this forum and also a newbie in my industry, which as the subject said, is pest control service, especially for B2B (factories, restaurants and commercial offices).

The goal of these cold calls are not to sell, but merely to gain information and set the appointment.

I have been thinking hard for the past few weeks on developing a solid cold calling script that me and my colleagues will be able to use. So far, what I have come up with is:

Hi, my name is [name] from [company]. I am calling to discuss regarding use of pest management service in your company. Would you be able to direct me to your QA/QC department (in factories) OR to your GA/purchasing (in commercial offices)

Normally before got forwardedd, I will ask for the name of the person the ccall will be forwarded to
(once forwarded)

Hello Mr./Ms. [name], I am [name] from [company]. I hope I didnt catch you at a bad time, but I would like to discuss a few things regarding pest management solution at your company's premise.

Are you currently having any pest management contract with any professional pest management providers?

(if Yes)
May I know who are you currently using?

Would you mind to inform me if you have been with them for long?

When was the last contract renewal is made?

(if No)
Any particular reason you decided not to use professional pest management provider? (normally the answer is because they are handling it with their own people)

(whether Yes or No)
What kind of pests do you you have issue with?

What do you expect from your pest management providers?

Are there any audit that you are required to pass?

Normally, I would close by saying:

Alright, many thanks for your time and information. I happen to have an appointment near your company's premise next week. Would it be convenient for me to drop by so we can have further discussion regarding this matter?

So far the response I'm getting is 40:40:20, being 40% quite talkative and willing to share all the informattion, the other 40% is not too willing to share all the information, but give out some, and the other 20% is simply rejecting me outright.

I would appreciate very much if the more experienced members here are willing to share their wisdom with me so I can be a better salesperson.

Many thanks,

PS
I am from Indonesia, so the script is actually in Indonesian, but I have translated them as close as possible to create the English version. - by edprobudi
" I happen to have an appointment near your company's premise next week. Would it be convenient for me to drop by so we can have further discussion regarding this matter?"
How can you be sure you "have an appointment near the company's premise next week?" - by Gary A Boye
I Like your technique that you use to get to the buyer of your product. My problem is I would want to hang up with you as soon as you ask who I use. You fail to keep me interested. Also, asking who I am using that early is like saying "I need to know how much you pay and how much I can charge you". Save this question for the face to face. Lead with an answer for "What is in it for me." I am very busy and if you do not hook me upfront them I will find a way to end the call. Are you trying to save me money or have a higher quality product or system than the industry standard uses? Asking about the contract time frame is great! Are you using this info to put more appointments in your pipeline for later in the year? Also, how are you "disqualify" some people? Do you ever do an appointment and walk out thinking that you wasted your time? What could you have asked during the phone call to qualify them?

Remember, make me excited so I will want to give you an appointment :) - by nbl101
For me scripts do not work although it is important to have product knowledge. Product knowledge will help you with self confidence. If I were in your shoes I would do some research on the businesses I wanted to call on; grab some business cards and company brochures and hit the road. In my opinion canned scripts and pitches come across as phony. Use your personality and do F2F Cold Calls. You are not trying to sell your product in this initial call, you are simply gathering information and selling an appointment. Always be honest and always be yourself!

I would simply say, "Are you happy with your current pest control company"? If not I would love the opportunity to sit down with you and discuss what my company has to offer you."
Would next Thursday at 10a be a good time for you? - by MPrince
How can you be sure you "have an appointment near the company's premise next week?"
Hi Gary, thanks for replying.

It is actually just an expression to get them to agree for a survey. If we dont have an appointment, we will "make" one :P - by edprobudi
Hi MPrince.

Many thanks for your reply along with the great suggestions.

For me F2F cold calls does not work most of the time as our people would immediately rebuffed by the security guards and/ or the receptionists. It is quite inefficieent and costly to do that, since sometimes our clients are industries that are located far away from each other, which means our sales would have to travel 45 mins to 1.1/2 hours to a location, only to get a response that the guy is not available, so they would spend the same tme coming back. It is also highly frustrating for them.

Anyhow, your other inputs are highly appreciated, and I will put them to work with our sales people immediately. - by edprobudi
Hello nbl101,

Many thanks for your reply and valuable advises. I will try to save the question regarding their current vendors until the F2F meeting.

Regarding disqualifying customers, I did have a few experiences after a meeting and thinking that I have completely wasted my time, but turn out these prospects did call and eventually gave us the business.

I know this may not always be the case and there are high chances that when you think you have wasted your time and later on it become a business, but since that point of time, I am trying not to be too sceptical about our prospects. PErhaps you would be so kind as to point to me, what would be a few good qualify/ disqualify parameters for prospects? - by edprobudi
Hi Gary, thanks for replying.

It is actually just an expression to get them to agree for a survey. If we dont have an appointment, we will "make" one :P
Among the people you reach, there is a significant portion who have heard that "expression" before and recognize it for what it is. Most of them know that a person who is willing to make a statement, not founded on truth, will be apt to make other statements not founded on truth.

But--let's suppose that your "expression" is so cleverly devised that not a single person recognizes it for what it is. EVEN THEN--you're breaking THE most important tenet of prospecting which consists of two parts. Make the calls. Tell the truth.

Add the word ALWAYS to that and you're on your way to "becoming a better salesperson" which is the goal you expressed in your initial post on this thread. - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary,

Many thanks for your reply.
I certainly believe that honesty is absolutely important for all of us in the sales profession and I think what you are implying is great.

Most of the time, if we do not have an appointment, then we will "make" or create an appointment with some of our existing customers in the nearby area (because most of the factories here are located in industrial complex).

Gary, would you be kind enough to help me paraphrase what I am saying about having the appointment, to avoid the customer from sensing that we are untruthful or dishonest even before we are getting started?

I appreciate it very much. - by edprobudi
Gary, would you be kind enough to help me paraphrase what I am saying about having the appointment, to avoid the customer from sensing that we are untruthful or dishonest even before we are getting started?

I appreciate it very much.
Absolutely! I share your passion for learning.

First, these were your words:
Alright, many thanks for your time and information. I happen to have an appointment near your company's premise next week. Would it be convenient for me to drop by so we can have further discussion regarding this matter?
Let's work with this:
Mr. ________ , I appreciate your time AND your information.

I PLAN to be in your area on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Could I have a BRIEF visit with you? Are either one of those days better than the other?

Here's what you're doing:
Mr. ________ , I appreciate your time AND your information.

The word "appreciate" is stronger than "thanks" or "many thanks" which have been watered down by insincerity in our culture for ages. You'll notice I capped "AND", as I did some other words. The reason is for inflection. When you inflect on certain words, even conjunctions, it breaks monotonous cadence and increases attention.

I PLAN to be in your area on Monday and Tuesday of next week.

Again the inflection on "PLAN." And--it's an honest statement because appointment setting in targeted areas IS planning.

But notice, that we've set the stage for what some sales lore calls an "alternate advance", which is an idea you may be familiar with. It's also an idea that is one of the most poorly executed in selling. Typically, and wrongly, it's followed immediately with "Which would be better for you?"

Why is that bad? Simply put, it's assumptive. You might have heard the phrase "assumptive close." In our learning programs at SalesPractice such as our Sales Education Alliance™, we disdain "assumptive".

So how can you execute an alternate advance correctly?

Could I have a BRIEF visit with you? Are either one of those days better than the other?

Here we've paired two questions. The first (note the inflection on "BRIEF) is a request. You're asking, as one human being to another. You're not assuming or offending by assumption.

The second is an honest direct question that leaves the door open for the prospect to suggest a better time.

Why ask two questions in succession? The answer is that all you need is one yes out of two and you have an appointment.
Will this guarantee success on every call? Of course not. But practicing those communication skills, while understanding the "why" of what your doing, will create the best chances for success.

Good luck! - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary,

That is a great tip and I certainly have incorporated them into the script. In fact, I've revised the script for my people with the above and I hope that it would bring a better result.

Once again, I appreciate your kind assistance and hope that you would be so kind to assist me again in the future. - by edprobudi
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.