Home > Personal Selling > Creating urgency-Help

Creating urgency-Help

I am an in home replacement Window sales Rep looking for some feedback in creating urgency for a one call close. Some time early on in the presentation after a good warm up and talking about my company i tell the prospect that i'm here today to discuss window options with them and that i'm going to give them 2 price quotes for the windows, one that is good for a year and as an added incentive to do business with me today another price quote with a 15% discount.

I tell them that very simply if you like the windows, my company, me and my price that you take advantage of the discount otherwise you still have the other price that is good for a year. I then go into the rest of my demo and close. i have had very good success with this, letting them know early on. However, my issue is when i go to appointments where they have had many other reps from different companies before me giving various discounts in different ways it comes off unbelievable. Any suggestions on creating urgency for a one day close would be helpful..Thanks - by libbycop
Is your discount offer truthful? Or would you honor the lower price next week? - by Gary A Boye
It is truthful, however if someone did call the next day my company would of course authorize a sale maybe at a reduced commission for mem - by libbycop
I think your two quote strategy is legit because it takes into account the possibility of future material and labor cost increases.

However, you may be focusing on the wrong issue when you look for ideas to "create" an urgency. Either urgencies exist ot they don't exist--unless your suggesting a false urgency--in which case you'll get no advice here.

It might be a good idea to concentrate on good questioning with the prospects with the intent to discover what they are trying to accomplish by getting numerous quotes---other than price. - by Gary A Boye
I suggest that you learn how to find prospect who urgently want replacement windows. There are plenty of them out there.

Attempting to create urgency where there is none is transparent BS. I bet that if your prospect calls in 3 weeks and says they want a 20 percent discount, the least they would get is the 15 percent (urgency) discount. - by JacquesWerth
Unfortunately in todays home improvement environment I am usually up against multiple remodelers vying for the same job. Prospects usually find us and usually call 3-4 remodelers for a price quote..Without any urgency to buy from me on a one call close it almost never happens aferrwards..I would think your high probability sales concepts would probably not apply if I attempted to prequalify them aggressively before showing them my products..Maybe im wrong - by libbycop
Unfortunately in todays home improvement environment I am usually up against multiple remodelers vying for the same job. Prospects usually find us and usually call 3-4 remodelers for a price quote..Without any urgency to buy from me on a one call close it almost never happens aferrwards..I would think your high probability sales concepts would probably not apply if I attempted to prequalify them aggressively before showing them my products..Maybe im wrong
But they ARE buying from someone, aren't they? And--that someone is up against the same number of competitors you are.

Artificial urgencies are transparent to most buyers today. I'm not saying that they never work. But they do not create the differentiator that will make you into that aforementioned "someone" that outsells the others.

In simple words, your task is to BE BETTER than the competition.

I'm assuming you read High Probability Selling before making that judgement you shared. What did you think of the Trust and Respect Inquiry the program teaches? - by Gary A Boye
Creating a sense of urgency when there is none is a difficult road to drive and generally results in a negative tone.

The way to drive the want to buy from you is generated by;

Trust

Respect

Communication

Understanding

Acknowledging the customers issues, concerns, wants and desires

Belief by the customer that you can deliver on your promises

Credibility

Honesty

Integrity

Emotion

Logic

These are a few items and will not guarantee a sale , but they do help - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.