Home > Cold Calling > I Am Just About to Taste Blood

I Am Just About to Taste Blood

I am referring to the book 'The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising' By Kenneth Roman

It looks like I will have to taste some blood.

I am planning to launch a new division of my company: search engine optimization for small business. I am planning to do it by cold calling all by myself.

I've have never done any cold calling in my life. Ever since I heard of cold calling I always resisted the idea even though I considered it. Now I made the decision to do it.

I read 'Cold Calling for Women: Opening Doors and Closing Sales' by Wendy Weiss and attended several webinars about cold calling. I do have guts, never give up and take risks.

Still, do YOU think I am totally out of my mind? - by SEOmarketing
As someone who has read everything Ogilvy ever wrote, including his two autobiographies, and, Roman's The King of Madison Avenue, I would seriously doubt that you are out of your mind.

Your reading choice belies that very thought. - by Gary A Boye
Gary, thanks for responding. I really appreciate it. I still don't think I know what I am doing, but I will have to sharpen my teeth as I go.

I just recently found out that Groupon was launched by cold calling. Of course, they had power I don't have, but it was done by cold calling.

Any cold calling tips you have in mind and have time for will be deeply appreciated. - by SEOmarketing
Any cold calling tips you have in mind and have time for will be deeply appreciated.
Tell me more about what you have incorporated into your sales practice from the book(s) you have read and webinar(s) you have attended on cold calling? - by Jeff Blackwell
The following six words have more value regarding the topic than all of the books, and blogs, and webinars combined.
  • Make the calls.
  • Tell the truth.
In sales we talk to people. Some we know. Some we don't know. Nothing unusual about that. There has never been a need to nominalize that activity into a term (cold calling) like it's going to show up on Halloween and say boo. - by Gary A Boye
Tell me more about what you have incorporated into your sales practice from the book(s) you have read and webinar(s) you have attended on cold calling?
I did not start yet. I am in the process of preparing press release, blog posts, classifieds, etc. In general, I developed scripts that are special to my market. They have to do with search engine optimization. To claim that I incorporated cold calling would be premature.

I will post as I go. - by SEOmarketing
The following six words have more value regarding the topic than all of the books, and blogs, and webinars combined.
  • Make the calls.
  • Tell the truth.
In sales we talk to people. Some we know. Some we don't know. Nothing unusual about that. There has never been a need to nominalize that activity into a term (cold calling) like it's going to show up on Halloween and say boo.
I am curious, why do YOU think so many people go into hype? I think they just don't have enough information about the products they sell, they don't believe in the products they sell or simply hate those products. Could there be something else? - by SEOmarketing
I am curious, why do YOU think so many people go into hype? I think they just don't have enough information about the products they sell, they don't believe in the products they sell or simply hate those products. Could there be something else?
It is inherent in the placement and recruiting standards which fill sales jobs with amateurs.

Amateurs don't know what to do, so they do what they think salespeople are supposed to do. And, of course, a lot of sales managers are amateurs too. So that reinforces the ineffective practices. - by Gary A Boye
Tell me more about what you have incorporated into your sales practice from the book(s) you have read and webinar(s) you have attended on cold calling?
I did much more than I intended first. I incorporated giving out mobile website pages into my pitch. It works! People want free things. When it comes to mobile websites, they cannot wait to get a mobile website. They know how much they can sell from a mobile website. People sleep with their mobile phones, they would rather give up chocolate than mobile phone.

Watch this video and see where we are moving in terms of selling from mobile phones. Mobile websites are becoming a necessity for any company or individual that sells anything. - by SEOmarketing
It is inherent in the placement and recruiting standards which fill sales jobs with amateurs.

Amateurs don't know what to do, so they do what they think salespeople are supposed to do. And, of course, a lot of sales managers are amateurs too. So that reinforces the ineffective practices.
These practices turn people off. These practices do much damage. Hype, pressure is not the way to go. Now that I am on the selling side, I will make sure I do not slip into that mode.

Thanks - by SEOmarketing
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.