Home > Jobs > Sales - Vocation or Profession?

Sales - Vocation or Profession?

First, in your opinion is "Sales" a vocation or profession? Next, how do you differentiate between the two? Finally, do you feel there is any benefit to identifying "Sales" as one or the other? - by Community Mailbox
I believe sales is a vocation, from Wikipedia: A vocation (from Latin vocare, meaning "to call"[1]), is a term for an occupation to which a person is specially drawn or for which they are suited, trained or qualified.

It has become a profession because it’s the most important role in almost any business and there aren’t enough people that have a calling for sales, its become more of a necessity to fill the number of sales jobs that need to be done around the world.

With an average conversion rate of around 30% across the industries i've been exposed to I feel we are doing an ok job. We all know and work with people who regularly double that conversion, I believe its their calling and they don’t find it too difficult at all.

Is there any benefit in identifying the 2....ummm, not sure, it probably just explains the varying conversion rates. - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.