Home > Education > What Would Be the First Thing You Would Say?

What Would Be the First Thing You Would Say?

If YOU, at your own level, would have the assignment of teaching a class on selling to thirty sales newbies, what would be the first things you would say after entering the classroom and addressing the students? - by Gary A Boye
Hi everyone, welcome to our workshop, before we get started I’d just like to give you a few thoughts that you should remember throughout your sales careers.

These are the underlying sales philosophies and beliefs that I’ve built up over the years and they form the basis of how I conduct business and there is no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't enjoy the same levels of success that i do if i didn't have these things to guide me from day to day. These ideas will help you to develop a solid foundation of beliefs to build our career on.

• The intent that you must have when you first meet customers is; Build trust, rapport, respect and an environment where the customer will tell them the truth – don’t sell, focus on building these things

• All sales people should change their vocabulary and use the word “proposal” instead of “quote”. There is much more to a proposal than a quote

• All sales people should be committed to creating a customer experience that is equal to or greater than a customer’s reasonable expectation

• We all need to communicate our value to every customer in a clear and precise way

• We need to follow a process that works well for all stakeholders, the customer, the sales people and the business owner – disregard one of them and the system will fail

• Everything you do needs to be genuine and customer focused – customers these days know when we’re not being genuine and when we have our agenda ahead of theirs

• You must develop the skills and activities required to be capable of and engaged in generating your own leads

• All sales people are brand ambassadors and everything they do should protect and enhance the YOU brand - by Tony Dunne
Do you have personal goals?
Do you have a professional goal?
How well do you listen? - by rich34232
Do you have personal goals?
Do you have a professional goal?
How well do you listen?
With the aforementioned thirty people in the class, would you wait for thirty answers? - by Gary A Boye
Gary some questions;

How long is the training seminar?
Is it a 4 day seminar?

- by rich34232
Gary some questions;

How long is the training seminar?
Is it a 4 day seminar?

No. One class--3 hours.

The point of my question on this thread is to address the need to assess the students' needs rather than the instructor deciding or assuming what their needs are.

One of the things that is lost among a lot of people trying to become sales trainers is the fact that the very same uncovery process a seasoned salesperson uses with a prospect is one that is most appropriate for teacher/student.

When we teach, we are selling. Some people think selling is teaching--it's not. But if we are to teach sales, we need to use our selling skills to get results.

In simple formula, seller/buyer runs parallel to teacher/student.

When we ask questions that are rhetorical, or that we can easily surmise the answers beforehand, we are preaching not teaching. - by Gary A Boye
One of the things that is lost among a lot of people trying to become sales trainers is the fact that the very same uncovery process a seasoned salesperson uses with a prospect is one that is most appropriate for teacher/student.

When we teach, we are selling. Some people think selling is teaching--it's not. But if we are to teach sales, we need to use our selling skills to get results.

In simple formula, seller/buyer runs parallel to teacher/student.
There probably are not a lot of active members who are actually teaching sales here.

I'll close the thread with the above excerpt from what I said earlier. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.