Home > Negotiation > What is the salesperson position in Negotiation

What is the salesperson position in Negotiation

Seller expect you to get a higher price and buyer expect you can get a lower price? Do they have the right expectation? Is it our position to be involved in such tough situation? - by mikexu
In sales, negotiating is the act of taking perceived, and assigned, static values of both parties, and making those values dynamic. Once those values are adjusted to mutually acceptable levels, a sale is often made.

Currently I am considering trading in my outboard engine for an upgraded version. About a month ago, the seller made an offer to sell me what I want at a trade difference of $800. I said I would consider it, and, consulted with two sailing buddies for their opinion. I then decided to make the purchase.

However, before I made the call, the seller's secretary called to follow up, and stated the trade-in difference would be $1375.

Obviously the first quote was a mistake.

SO---where do I now mentally assign the value? The $800 put an attractive spin. When I balked we were at a standstill.

Fast forward three days ago, when the seller offered a $180 discount. And, concurrently, my mind has adjusted the value also--away from the monetary consideration, and towards the desire I have for the new engine. From static to dynamic.

What could kick me over? Probably one value-added concession by the seller--THEN I buy.

That's an example of the real world of negotiation. - by Gary A Boye
Value is in the eye of the person paying the $, it doesnít matter if you make $1 or $10000 on the transaction. If the person paying the $ thinks itís a good deal then itís a good deal. Of course the opposite is also true.

Its not about the $ its about the belief, or put another way, its never about the money, its always about the customers belief, if it equals value to them, no matter how much you make then its value. Their expectation is value, if you allow that to equal low price then they have the right to expect a low price. Focus on belief and value, not price. - by Tony Dunne
Value is in the eye of the person paying the $, it doesnít matter if you make $1 or $10000 on the transaction. If the person paying the $ thinks itís a good deal then itís a good deal. Of course the opposite is also true.

Its not about the $ its about the belief, or put another way, its never about the money, its always about the customers belief, if it equals value to them, no matter how much you make then its value. Their expectation is value, if you allow that to equal low price then they have the right to expect a low price. Focus on belief and value, not price.
Tony, I've read your post and re-read it, but I'm having trouble relating it to the topic's question. I take it that "eye of the person paying the $" would mean perceived value. If so, I think it falls short. I believe that people assign value, and when we focus on that, we have a much better chance of negotiating successfully. - by Gary A Boye
Tony, I've read your post and re-read it, but I'm having trouble relating it to the topic's question. I take it that "eye of the person paying the $" would mean perceived value. If so, I think it falls short. I believe that people assign value, and when we focus on that, we have a much better chance of negotiating successfully.
Gary, unless Iím mistaken the topic is about customer expectation and price. I make the point that it really isnít about price so much as perceived value in the buyers mind. Iím saying focus on belief and value and price will become less of an issue. In your last sentence you say practically the same thing. - by Tony Dunne
Gary, unless I’m mistaken the topic is about customer expectation and price. I make the point that it really isn’t about price so much as perceived value in the buyers mind. I’m saying focus on belief and value and price will become less of an issue. In your last sentence you say practically the same thing.
I believe that when we make a distinction between perceived value and assigned value, we advance our understanding of sales and negotiation. That is the message that I want to deliver here. - by Gary A Boye
You have a sale when you show the prospect that your product is worth more than his money...build the value and the number doesn't matter as long as the customer can afford it. - by hudsonvalley
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.