Home > Technology > Is Sales 2.0 taking the personal out of Personal Selling?

Is Sales 2.0 taking the personal out of Personal Selling?

On more than a few occasions it has been suggested by some in the sales training business that personal selling is becoming more and more automated resulting in not only less personal interaction but an extreme loss of sales and related jobs. Is Sales 2.0 taking the personal out of Personal Selling? - by Community Mailbox
No. You cannot take the personal out of personal selling. - by Gary A Boye
"Sales 2.0" refers to the use of web enabled technologies (i.e., Web 2.0) in the business or activity of selling (i.e., personal selling).

Allow me to illustrate. "Video Conference" allows "two or more locations to interact via two-way video and audio transmissions simultaneously". In the past if people from two or more locations wanted to participate in a conference travel would be required.

When used in the business or activity of selling some people view "Video Conferencing" as "Sales 2.0". I do not see the need to apply such labeling but I realize others do. In this example "Sales 2.0" does not replace personal selling but instead facilitates it.

With that being said, in certain sales scenarios person-to-person selling is no longer "required". Let us use the purchase and distribution of books as an example. In the past door-to-door selling was a primary sales and distribution model for books. Today a person who wishes to do so can access Amazon.com to purchase and receive just about any book he/she wants. In the latter scenario person-to-person selling is no longer "required" - by Jeff Blackwell
As Jeff stated, Sales 2.0 (implemented wisely) is more about enhancing the power of a salesman, rather than replacing him. By supporting him with focused tools, an organization can help him in getting more deals in, more quickly.

One might even say that, because of "technology", Sales should have more opportunities than ever to work on the "personal" side of the business! - by BrochureZen-Stephan
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.