Home > Cold Calling > resistance to offering

resistance to offering

I work with voluntary employee benefits. We have a unique offer in that we offer solutions and offer strategies to small employers who are grappling with the continual increase in health coverage costs for their employees, but there is no additional cost to the employer.

However, most of the time, I meet with resistance and I believe that's because they assume we are trying to get them to compare with other medical plans, which is not the case. I am requesting a brief "Discovery" meeting to show them how we can do what we do, but the message doesn't seem to get through. They assume we want to compete with what they have.

Trying to explain it in detail over the phone would take several minutes.

Any suggestions on how to be more effective while being succint at the same time? - by ineedhelp
I work with voluntary employee benefits. We have a unique offer in that we offer solutions and offer strategies to small employers who are grappling with the continual increase in health coverage costs for their employees, but there is no additional cost to the employer.

However, most of the time, I meet with resistance and I believe that's because they assume we are trying to get them to compare with other medical plans, which is not the case. I am requesting a brief "Discovery" meeting to show them how we can do what we do, but the message doesn't seem to get through. They assume we want to compete with what they have.

Trying to explain it in detail over the phone would take several minutes.

Any suggestions on how to be more effective while being succint at the same time?
Must this be by phone?

Phone sales generate a very poor ratio between calls, appointments, and sales.

I sold in person but the commodity you sell may be very different and direct contact may not be viable.

However, if you must sell by phone, call your current customers and ask them, "... what made the difference in our approach that convinced you to give us a try?"

If one of your accounts is local, go to them personally. See first hand their business environment. The more information you have one them, the more tools you have to sell with.

I could offer a more accurate perspective if I knew more about what you sell. You don't have to divulge the name of the business if that would make you uncomfortable. - by John Voris
Thank you, John. I think I may have misled you. I am not trying to sell anything over the phone, but rather, am trying to schedule a brief appointment to be able to show the business owner how we can improve the value of their existing benefit plans to their employees while also enabling them to offer increased benefits, without any additional out of pocket costs to them.

However, in most cases, when they hear "employee benefits", they immediately assume I am trying to replace their existing plans and or broker relationship. Neither of these conclusions are accurate, and while I try to emphasize that there is no additional cost and that I am not trying to replace anything, they cut me off with things like "we just had our open enrollment" or " we're all set now", or something similar.

As an example of what we've been able to do; we recently worked with a 12 person group and by implementing some of our strategies, they are now saving about $33,000 per year and also were able to offer their employees additional benefits for less than they were previously paying. We get compensated when the the employer implements some of our srategies and allows us to offer additional benefits on a voluntary payroll basis.

As you can see, it's not possible to explain this much detail in a brief phone call. Getting the "discovery" meeting is the key, but how to do that before getting the above mentioed resistance is the challenge I'm facing.

Thank you for your input. - by ineedhelp
They assume we want to compete with what they have.
But you ARE!

Like many, you would benefit from expanding your definition of competition. In this particular case, you're competing directly against the status quo. In terms of what SalesPractice professes in the Path to Greatness™ consultancy, you're competing indirectly with the company's current and past EXPERIENCE of the status quo.

It isn't always necessary to put a face on the competition.

You want to bring about change that would improve the value of their current situation. They see it, incorrectly as a clean sweep replacement. In the psychology of marketing, that's called a "counter suggestion", an automatic resistance that short circuits your ability to tell the full story.

What does that mean? It means you have to use the tool of the greatest presentation designers and copy writers. You have to ATTACH a statement IMMEDIATELY that washes out their counter suggestion before it comes out of their mouth. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks for your response Gary.

Since I'm not a trained copywriter, etc. I'm not familiar with the language necessary to accomplish what you suggest. I am hoping that someone with more experience in this area would be willing to share some appropriate phrasing to help me accomplish success in overcoming this problem.

I appreciate all comments. - by ineedhelp
I am hoping that someone with more experience in this area would be willing to share some appropriate phrasing to help me accomplish success in overcoming this problem.

I appreciate all comments.
Them: We're all set.

You: I believe you are. You're existing plan is through who--may I ask?

Them: XYZ Benefit Plans. We're happy with them.

You: Excellent--You chose wisely. One of the advantages of that plan is you're able to improve its value to your employees AND you're able to offer increased benefits, without any additional out of pocket costs to them. If you'll give me a brief appointment, I'll show you how. Are mornings or afternoons better for you?
Note: A tenet from Path to Greatness™ based on a centuries old tenet of strategy: We don't overcome objections--we transcend them.
- by Gary A Boye
Thank you very much, Gary. - by ineedhelp
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.