Home > Interview > On Qualifying

On Qualifying

A lot of discussion take place about qualifying. At SalesPractice we have forwarded the understanding that "closing" is not an event; it's a progression.

What about qualifying? Event or progression?

I read a post where a member used the word "pre-qualify." What is that, and how does it differ from qualifying in sales?

Any takers on this topic? - by Gary A Boye
A lot of discussion take place about qualifying. At SalesPractice we have forwarded the understanding that "closing" is not an event; it's a progression.

What about qualifying? Event or progression?

I read a post where a member used the word "pre-qualify." What is that, and how does it differ from qualifying in sales?

Any takers on this topic?
Here's a contrary point of view.
We don't "qualify"

When we make a "prospecting offer" our intention is to determine whether the prospect is ready, willing, and able to buy our product or service at this time.

If the prospect says "Yes," we ask "why."
If the prospect says "No," we say "Okay, good bye." Then, we call the prospect back with a differently worded prospecting offer every 4 weeks. We get the most "Yes," replies after the fourth call to our prospecting list.

That is an outline of the "High Probability Prospecting" process. People who use the process make fewer appointments, but close far more sales than before. - by JacquesWerth
I love the previous threads methodology but not sure it can work in every sales situation or industry.

In my line of business pre-qualifying is very important and has several meanings. If a prospect calls my company requesting an estimate on home improvements several pre-qualifications need to take place before the appointment is set. Examples might be do you own the home? and with whom?..what products are you looking for and when are you looking for the work to be completed..some stronger pre quality questions may regard budget or financing but these i'll should be done in the home with thevprospect.c

Clearly pre-qualification is a progression designed to guage and ferret out the more serious prospects..there was a time when the method was when a prospect called must set the appointment and do everything when you got there..not effective..just my thoughts - by libbycop
No sales process "...can work in every sales situation or industry." However, the High Probability Prospecting process includes at least 13 disqualification questions which are asked after the appointment is set, but before a visit is made. - by JacquesWerth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.