Home > Education > What is sales training?

What is sales training?

Education and Practice show up in some dictionaries as synonyms for Training. Do you view these as being nearly the same or so closely associated that they can be interchanged? What is sales training in your opinion? - by Community Mailbox
Education and Practice show up in some dictionaries as synonyms for Training. Do you view these as being nearly the same or so closely associated that they can be interchanged? What is sales training in your opinion?
If it was important to delve into this, linguistic typology would be more helpful than a dictionary. If Joe Closemaster is training Fred Needshelp on the practice of selling, then it's an example of subject–verb–object (SVO), which some of us may remember from grade school English class. On the other hand, when Fred goes to the local gym to lift dumbbells, he is training. If he was singing in the shower this morning, he may be practicing for his part in a musical. Tomorrow morning he will be engaged in the practice of selling which is how he makes his living.

Our friend Fred is an educated man and he fired his last sales trainer because he didn't think that the trainer really understood selling. Joe values understanding, and that is what he equates with education.

Like our fictional Fred, I believe that you can't successfully teach what you don't understand, and therefore I prefer the term sales education to sales training.

A non-fictional friend of mine pointed out that animal trainers at the circus have trained tigers to jump through burning hoops and the trainers could probably jump through those same hoops themselves. He said that doesn't necessarily ring true with all sales trainers in that many don't have the necessary understanding to succeed in sales themselves.

He didn't say that perhaps that's why they gave up selling to try sales training, but I have a feeling that's what he thought. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.