Home > Personal Development > Is a lack of confidence the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts?

Is a lack of confidence the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts?

Is a lack of confidence the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts?

Any thoughts? Agree or disagree? - by Gary A Boye
In my experience, more times than not the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts is either because they do not know what to do (e.g., thoughts, actions, outcomes) or they cannot get themselves to do it... not a lack of confidence which comes later, not before. - by Jeff Blackwell
Goals provide the energy source that powers our lives. One of the best ways we can get the most from the energy we have is to focus it. That is what goals can do for us; Concentrate our energy"---In my views,FOCOUSING OF ENERGY IS MAIN... - by bhupendra
confidence is actually built on other qualities, and for me, doing every moment what I am supposed to do during the sales process helps me a lot achieving my goals, that is every second live the moment, help that customer and what follows is success! - by corinapo
confidence is actually built on other qualities, and for me, doing every moment what I am supposed to do during the sales process helps me a lot achieving my goals, that is every second live the moment, help that customer and what follows is success!
I like your thoughts very much. But I'm curious as to what your answer might be to the topic's question. - by Gary A Boye
Goals provide the energy source that powers our lives. One of the best ways we can get the most from the energy we have is to focus it. That is what goals can do for us; Concentrate our energy"---In my views,FOCOUSING OF ENERGY IS MAIN...
You answer to the topic's question is what then?. - by Gary A Boye
I like your thoughts very much. But I'm curious as to what your answer might be to the topic's question.
Thank you, Gary. Lack of confidence is not the main reason, and from what I saw there are usually several reasons why people quit sales and rarely only one. To get to confidence, one must build on integrity, focus, discipline, knowledge, effective communication -that includes Listening! - authenticity, persistence. These, just enumerated are basic qualities, in my opinion and confidence, leadership are more complex. - by corinapo

Any thoughts? Agree or disagree?
The same person who lacks sales confidence can sing the national anthem in front of several thousand people. This describes my daughter by the way.

In my experience we all have confidence. However, it shows up whenever we are doing what is necessary for it to be released.

When we are doing something that is antithetical to who we are at a deeper level, the lack of confidence will be evident. So, I will not be singing anytime soon.

However, the "lack of confidence in sales" can encapsulate many other hidden issues.

IMO having no confidence is the physical effect of an inner prior cause or causes. - by John Voris
In my experience, more times than not the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts is either because they do not know what to do (e.g., thoughts, actions, outcomes) or they cannot get themselves to do it... not a lack of confidence which comes later, not before.
Jeff
Lack of confidence comes later . Isn't this what stops people from commiting to learn and get better? The thought I can not do this enters. Not knowing drives the lack of confidence.A confident person discovers what to do and can motivate them self.
Why would it matter when the lack of confidence arrives it arrives and is the final decision maker. - by rich34232
Jeff
Lack of confidence comes later . Isn't this what stops people from commiting to learn and get better? The thought I can not do this enters. Not knowing drives the lack of confidence.A confident person discovers what to do and can motivate them self.
Why would it matter when the lack of confidence arrives it arrives and is the final decision maker.
Hello Rich.

Generally speaking, Sensing comes before Thinking which comes before Feeling which comes before Wanting which comes before Doing.

Generally speaking Confidence is a Feeling. - by Jeff Blackwell
Hello Rich.

Generally speaking, Sensing comes before Thinking which comes before Feeling which comes before Wanting which comes before Doing.

Generally speaking Confidence is a Feeling.
Well said. I'll add to this topic that although lack of confidence could be a reason for some failure in selling, it could hardly rank as the "main" reason. Lack of preparation would rank much further ahead. So would poor communication skills, laziness, weak comprehension skills, AND misguidance from others. I could go on. - by Gary A Boye
Perhps I am looking at this from a simplistic measurement as I place those things under lack of confidence as each of them can be overcome if one chooses to want to and follows it up with an action to overcome thier pitfalls or short comings.

If a person is not the best it does not mean that person has failed.

I wouild think if I sold 3 out of 10 people I visit my boss would think I failed however if I hit safely 3 out of 10 times in baseball I am a multi millionaire.

If I sold water conditioning and sold 3 out of 10 units Magazines would write about my success.

Perhaps we need to define failed before we define the reason someone fails. - by rich34232
Perhps I am looking at this from a simplistic measurement as I place those things under lack of confidence as each of them can be overcome if one chooses to want to and follows it up with an action to overcome thier pitfalls or short comings.
Please elaborate. Thank you.

Perhaps we need to define failed before we define the reason someone fails.
In the context of this discussion by fail I mean; "Be unsuccessful in achieving one's desired outcome." - by Jeff Blackwell

If a person is not the best it does not mean that person has failed.

I wouild think if I sold 3 out of 10 people I visit my boss would think I failed however if I hit safely 3 out of 10 times in baseball I am a multi millionaire.

If I sold water conditioning and sold 3 out of 10 units Magazines would write about my success.

Perhaps we need to define failed before we define the reason someone fails.
Whoa! Since when can't lack of confidence be overcome if you're going to use that as a differentiator?

Baseball? How about Jimmy Pearsall, a major league star whose severe lack of confidence put him into a mental hospital.

The Stage? How about Helen Hayes who became the First Lady of the American Theater. She was so frightened that she vomited before almost every performance. Or Sid Caesar, one of the greats of early live television, who suffered with such a confidence issue that he had to be almost pushed by cast members to go before the camera.

Boxing? Ali lacked confidence prior to facing Foreman, but regained the championship in the ring.

How about Abraham Lincoln who suffered acute depression stemming from a confidence issue while he was president?

Were these people failures? I don't think so. But if any of them would have had poor communication skills, laziness, weak comprehension skills, or if any of them would have lacked preparation, I don't think they would be as esteemed in our culture's memory.

I have to endorse what Jeff said: "the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts is either because they do not know what to do (e.g., thoughts, actions, outcomes) or they cannot get themselves to do it... " - by Gary A Boye
Whoa! Since when can't lack of confidence be overcome if you're going to use that as a differentiator?

Baseball? How about Jimmy Pearsall, a major league star whose severe lack of confidence put him into a mental hospital.

The Stage? How about Helen Hayes who became the First Lady of the American Theater. She was so frightened that she vomited before almost every performance. Or Sid Caesar, one of the greats of early live television, who suffered with such a confidence issue that he had to be almost pushed by cast members to go before the camera.

Boxing? Ali lacked confidence prior to facing Foreman, but regained the championship in the ring.

How about Abraham Lincoln who suffered acute depression stemming from a confidence issue while he was president?

Were these people failures? I don't think so. But if any of them would have had poor communication skills, laziness, weak comprehension skills, or if any of them would have lacked preparation, I don't think they would be as esteemed in our culture's memory.

I did not say a lack of confidence could not be overcome. Each of them over came diversity (SIC) and performed. Each of those you have mentioned became confident and delivered. I dislike being in front of a crowd, today I still become nervous depending on the size of the crowd. Do you really believe they lacked confidence in thier (SIC) ability and beliefs? I do not.

Even so I will go back to a statement I have made several times and that is we can find exceptions with anything at any time. I would not put a blanket statement that would cover all people in all circumstances. - by rich34232
Even so I will go back to a statement I have made several times and that is we can find exceptions with anything at any time. I would not put a blanket statement that would cover all people in all circumstances.
I would consider the following a blanket statement which was made on another thread, and, was cause for us to start this thread for discussion because it is not congruent with what we believe at Salespractice, nor consistent with the Online Learning Experience that is the primary objective of this site.

I would venture to say a lack of confidence is the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts.

It stops a person from wanting and learning more
It keeps people at the same plateau living in contentment with the status quo
It keeps people from asking questions
It keeps people from reaching thier full potential
and many more drawbacks to a lack of confidence.
We simply do not endorse that statement although lack of confidence could be, in some cases, a cause of failure. - by Gary A Boye
I would consider the following a blanket statement which was made on another thread, and, was cause for us to start this thread for discussion because it is not congruent with what we believe at Salespractice, nor consistent with the Online Learning Experience that is the primary objective of this site.

We simply do not endorse that statement although lack of confidence could be, in some cases, a cause of failure.

ah if I could edit I would edit it to say MOST people. I thnk that sometimes we take things way to literal. - by rich34232
ah if I could edit I would edit it to say MOST people. I think that sometimes we take things way to (sic) literal (sic).
Exactly. And that's our concern. We don't accept your statement, "Lack of confidence is the main reason why people fail with their sales efforts.", "literal" or otherwise. But currently there are almost 400 visitors to this particular thread from all over the world. They come here expecting us to live up to our mission to be the definitive source of sales education on the Internet. Some are newcomers to sales, seeking to learn. If a statement is made in discussion that conflicts with what we are deeply committed to get across to help people make a living in sales, we will counter that statement. And--we're not looking for debate. I'm sure it can be debated elsewhere; plenty of sites are filled with debate. That's them. Not here. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.