Home > Education > Scientific Selling

Scientific Selling

As to be expected the use of web enabled technologies in the business or activity of selling is growing each year as... "an ever-increasing number of people are accessing the Internet for information, collaboration and commerce fueling the emergence and evolution of enabling technologies".

Some individuals within the sales training industry would have us believe that because of these changes selling is becoming a science. Of course, some do not agree...
One of the biggest myths perpetuated in sales is that selling is, or is becoming, a science. This suggestion assumes that individuals will respond predictably (i.e., stimulus-response model) to sales techniques, sales processes or selling systems which is often interpreted as meaning that if a salesperson executes the techniques, processes or systems correctly he or she will be invincible in selling (e.g., sell anything to anybody).
Scientific Selling is not a new idea. In 1921 Samuel Knox wrote, "The Science and Art of Selling". In 1920 Arthur Dunn wrote, "Scientific Selling and Advertising". It has been suggested that, "scientific selling was one of the dominant articulations within managerial marketing discourse, from the 1920s to the late 1940s".

What does Scientific Selling mean to you and in your opinion is it the "New" way to sell? - by Community Mailbox
As to be expected the use of web enabled technologies in the business or activity of selling is growing each year as... "an ever-increasing number of people are accessing the Internet for information, collaboration and commerce fueling the emergence and evolution of enabling technologies".

Some individuals within the sales training industry would have us believe that because of these changes selling is becoming a science. Of course, some do not agree...Scientific Selling is not a new idea. In 1921 Samuel Knox wrote, "The Science and Art of Selling". In 1920 Arthur Dunn wrote, "Scientific Selling and Advertising". It has been suggested that, "scientific selling was one of the dominant articulations within managerial marketing discourse, from the 1920s to the late 1940s".

What does Scientific Selling mean to you and in your opinion is it the "New" way to sell?
"Scientific Selling" means hype, lack of integrity, mental manipulation, desperation, misapplication and misinterpretation of real science, at times fraud in reporting, and the list continues.

I may have an extreme view but this is what we have discovered through our research during the past 11 years.

We have direct knowledge that these people form a mutual advertising and promoting fraternity.They simply represent a large back-slapping party with very few exceptions.

It may be the "New" way to con people out of their money but not much more than that.

This is why I feel salespractice is so valuable. - by John Voris
"Scientific Selling" means hype, lack of integrity, mental manipulation, desperation, misapplication and misinterpretation of real science, at times fraud in reporting, and the list continues.

I may have an extreme view but this is what we have discovered through our research during the past 11 years.

We have direct knowledge that these people form a mutual advertising and promoting fraternity.They simply represent a large back-slapping party with very few exceptions.

It may be the "New" way to con people out of their money but not much more than that.
I can appreciate your point of view John. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.