Home > Cold Calling > Critique My Script

Critique My Script

Hi, All! I'm new here, but I'm looking for a bit of help with my cold call script.

Here's what I say:

Mr./Mrs. Last Name?

Hi, my name is Econnors with ABC Insurance Agency in Local Town. I'm calling because we're conducting complimentary insurance reviews and have been saving folks some money on their home and auto insurance.

Who are you insured with now?

After that, I continue on with dialog about their current carrier, etc.

I have followed a good bit of advice in removing the "how are you" from my spiel. I've also switched from asking the prospect if they're interested to asking the open ended question about their current insurance.

What are your thoughts? - by econnors
My first and only thought is to ask you how it's working. - by Gary A Boye
I have not had much luck with it. I have since tweaked it to say:

Hi, Mr/Mrs lastname

My name is EConnors and I am calling with Abc Insurance in Anytown. I was calling because we have been able to save folks some money on their home and auto insurance rates. Have you had a chance to sit down with an insurance agent recently?

Is that better? - by econnors
Not sure what you're asking for when you ask for a "critique."

Perhaps if you reversed roles and pretended that you were the recipient of such a call. You would have learned that the person calling is EConnors, and Econnors works for ABC Insurance. You would then have the opportunity to say whether you have had a chance to sit down with an insurance agent recently.

What's your level of motivation or interest at this point?

Personally I would have none. However I'll point out that I have a chance to sit down with an insurance agent almost every day. As do most people.

Bottom line. Call with an offer or a proposition. A chance to sit down is neither. - by Gary A Boye
Hey Gary, you're right. I did add in a part about "to review your insurance needs". After they say yes or no, I then lead into the rest of the discussion. If they say yes, I will ask them if they are satisfied with their current coverage. If they say no, I will begin talking to them about the solution - which is insurance. I'm trying to get a handle on what works, and it's been tough so far...

I'm trying to balance not being too salesy and being more conversational with presenting something of interest to get prospects thinking...I also want to catch their attention and stand out from the crowd of other people who are trying to sell them something over the phone. - by econnors
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.