Home > Closing > Is applying pressure an acceptable technique for closing a deal?

Is applying pressure an acceptable technique for closing a deal?

It's often said that high pressure salespeople do the rest of us damage, but it's also true that some high pressure salespeople are very good at what they do. Sometimes you hear people complain about how they felt "pressured" into the sale, and wouldn't have bought the product had they not felt pressured to do so. Yet had the salesperson not applied pressure to close the deal, they might have lost the business to a competitor who did apply pressure.

s there such a thing as acceptable pressure? It seems sometimes customers can be slow to make a decision, and therefore by applying some pressure can snap the customers mindset into decision making mode, and therefore might cause them to make an impulse decision they might otherwise not have made were they given sufficient time to think about it. In the end the salesperson wins and the customer might also win but feel like they lose if they didn't think they had 100% ownership of the decision.

Is there a right way to apply pressure or hasten their decision without making them feel uncomfortable? - by sales_ace
You used the words "pressure" or "pressured" ten times in your post.

Please give at least one example.

Have you ever used "pressure." If you have, certainly that would suffice as an example. - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary, I apologise for using the word "pressure" so much. I promise to refrain from using that word so much in the future.

I may have unwittingly used "it" in the past to close a sale, but I'm not that type of person. It can turn the sales conversation pear shaped very quickly or it can get you the result you want, but almost always it's an uncomfortable feeling that results and I think sales transactions should be positive for both seller and buyer.

My old boss said acceptable pressure (sorry) was ok, but I never quite knew what he meant by that so I was hoping light could be shed here. A light example might be offering a closing incentive to do the deal there and then even though the customer has not had sufficient time to think about it, or discuss it with spouse. Then there are those salespeople who basically bully their customers into buying, and on the other side those who don't bother closing at all.

I'm asking this question because recently I've decided to take a more professional consultative approach to selling and try to avoid using gimmicky methods as a way of closing a deal, instead educating the customer on the logic and benefits of the solution. But I'm finding that my zero pressure pitch isn't creating enough urgency or its missing something because my conversion rate at the moment is low. Maybe I should try closing harder even if it means stepping on some toes? - by sales_ace
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.