Home > Approach > Rookie Sales Man In Serious Need Of Telemarketing Pointers.

Rookie Sales Man In Serious Need Of Telemarketing Pointers.

Hello all,

I am so excited to be apart of this group. I need your help. Anyone with sales experience is welcome to give help. I am a sales man for a printing company. Its a small business. So small the Im the entire staff. I have about 2yrs in sales exp. I have about 5 mos on the phone. But that has done me no good. I need help with a intro/ice breaker or someway to brake the "what are you trying to sell me now" barrier. I need alot of help. LOL!! - by Mykelfarr
Hello all,

I am so excited to be apart of this group. I need your help. Anyone with sales experience is welcome to give help. I am a sales man for a printing company. Its a small business. So small the Im the entire staff. I have about 2yrs in sales exp. I have about 5 mos on the phone. But that has done me no good. I need help with a intro/ice breaker or someway to brake the "what are you trying to sell me now" barrier. I need a lot of help. LOL!!
What is an intro/icebreaker and what is a ""what are you trying to sell me now" barrier?

I'm not familiar with those terms. - by Gary A Boye
"Intro/icebreaker" meaning introduction or warm welcome to greet the customer. "What are you trying to sell me now barrier" meaning the the emotion of irritation or frustration from being called by a telemarketer. I am having a hard time finding a way to build rapport over the phone. I used to do door to door sales. I was great at it. I was eventually hired to a car dealership and did really good there as well. But now I am having trouble. I have never really done telemarketing before. I did appointment setting over the phone but no selling. Any advice? - by Mykelfarr
What you are calling "icebreaker" is not part of an effective telemarketing strategy. You will try the patience of many people.

Learn to get to the point. Who you are. Who you represent. The purpose of the call. And--hopefully that "purpose" is built around an offer.

There are two fundamental rules for outbound calling:
  • Make the calls.
  • Tell the truth.
- by Gary A Boye
This is not about "telemarketing." It is "telephone prospecting."

People don't buy because you need to make a sale. They buy in their own time for their reasons.

A High Probability Prospecting Offer:
1. This is Your Name with XYZ Printing.
2. We specialize in ????
3 One feature of your service.
4 Another eature of your service.
Is that the kind of printer you want?

That should take about 20 seconds. You should be able to make about 60 dials per hour and reach about 15% of the people you call.

If the prospects says "no", or anything other than "yes," you say "Okay (pause) Goodbye." Wait for them to say Goodbye before you hang up.

Call the same list every 4 weeks - changing items 3 and 4 each time you call. - by JacquesWerth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.