Home > Cold Calling > The Resurgence of Cold Calling

The Resurgence of Cold Calling

There was a bit of online chatter at one time surrounding what some were calling, "The death of cold calling". It seems that such suggestions have fallen out of favor with aspiring professionals after several authorities on the topic stepped forward and provided those in doubt with their much needed insight on the topic.

With that being said, there are still a few holdouts (practitioners and trainers) clinging to the limiting belief that cold calling is dead. In your opinion, how would "cold calling" have to be defined for that suggestion (cold calling is dead) to be accurate? - by Community Mailbox
(A) - IF "cold calling" was defined as unsolicited calls by salespeople to unqualified leads for the purpose of delivering a preset (canned vs. planned) sales pitch (or something similar) irrespective of the responses or the circumstances of the individual being called THEN in my opinion the suggestion that cold calling is dead (inefficient) would be accurate.

(B) - I define "cold calling" as unsolicited calls (telephone) or visits (in-person) by salespeople to potential customers. The "efficiency" (being effective without wasting time or effort or expense) of such calls will depend a number of variables to include the available options, the prospect, the offer, and the salesperson making the call.

As you can see from the two examples (A,B) provided above when someone is discussing "cold calling" he/she may very well be referring to (A) something completely different than what you think he/she is referring to (B). This is an example of how miscommunication happens and why it is important to clarify what he/she means (A, B, or something else?) by "cold calling" or any other term for that matter.

Another common obstacle to clear communication is lack of context. For an example see the following article: http://www.salespractice.com/forums/t-2498.html - by Jeff Blackwell
An excellent thread to visit, Jeff.

I'll add to "lack of context" the term "selective context." It's a way of referencing the fact that some people only hear what they want to hear.

When encyclopedias were sold in hardbound books via direct sales, I once heard an Encyclopaedia Britannica salesman state the fact that Britannica had 44 million words in it. He then stated that its competitor, World Book, had only 11 million words.

Now you would think that the implied context was that Britannica contained more information. But that was not his aim. He followed, dead serious, with his most anti-conspiracy tone and said: "I want to know WHO DECIDES which 33 million words to LEAVE OUT!!"

I once had lunch with a World Book executive and I told him that story. He laughed so hard he almost choked.

Selective context. - by Gary A Boye
Great point about context Gary!

For good or for bad, we each choose (not always consciously) what we want to delete, distort, or generalize. See also...
  • Selective Exposure (e.g., choice of what to expose yourself to)
  • Selective Distortion (e.g., choice of what to believe)
  • Selective Retention (e.g., choice of what to remember)
- by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.