Home > Approach > What should a rookie salesman concentrate on?

What should a rookie salesman concentrate on?

Hi all,

I have read with great interest through this forum before posting. To give a little background I am 49 years young and about to embark on my first "professional" sales career and really want to succeed. I will be selling satellite tv subscriptions door to door here in th U.K.
I have a one week induction/training course next week and I guess my first question is what I should be concentrating on during that course. I am assuming that as the company I will be working for are the number one satellite supplier not only in this country but also throughout Europe and other parts of the world that training will be of the highest quality.
I would like to hear your thoughts on what I should be aiming to take from the course in order of importance.
Cheers
Ian - by Ian T
Ian, I want to help and provide an answer. But first I want to challenge you to answer a question in an honest and discerning manner.

You mentioned you have read through this forum with great interest. Can you construct a short paragraph to reveal the essence of what you have taken away (learned) from reading on this forum. - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary, I guess the main things I feel I have gained by reading are in no particular order :
To be honest with myself, and my prospects
To be more interested in my prospects needs than my own
To know my service inside out
To stay positive and not feel personally rejected by rejections
To always look and act professionally and with courtesy

and that you never should stop trying to learn and improve.

Ian - by Ian T
Hi Gary, I guess the main things I feel I have gained by reading are in no particular order :
To be honest with myself, and my prospects
To be more interested in my prospects needs than my own
To know my service inside out
To stay positive and not feel personally rejected by rejections
To always look and act professionally and with courtesy

and that you never should stop trying to learn and improve.

Really?

You must have probed very, very, deep into the pages of this forum to find material like that.

Whether or not you really found it on Salespractice, or found it among your own thoughts, having been prompted by my question, it doesn't matter. It's great advice and perhaps you've given yourself better advice than that which would come from another.

So my advice: Stay with those thoughts. And carry these Four Critical Understandings in blinking lights on the inside of your forehead:

1) Every potential customer you meet is comparing the EXPERIENCE they have with you to the experiences they have with others. Your success in selling comes from making the other experiences pale by comparison. 2) HONEST, INTRINSIC QUESTIONS are the building blocks of a sale. 3) PREPAREDNESS is the most important skill in selling. 4) CLOSING is a progression of consent.

It's a quantum leap from "novice" onto the road to sales mastery if you'll follow that advice.
- by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary,
Thank you for taking the time once again.
I have indeed probed very deep, probably not too many threads I have not read lol. I have tried to focus on contributors such as yourself, Jeff, Skip and others that have obvious years of success. Although your methods may vary, the underlying principles are the same. Also I have followed some of the links mentioned and found further information.
I noted on one thread you mentioned that you get a lot of newcomers ask questions, then disappear without coming back to you all with the outcome. I will come back to you after my induction training and let you know the progress, what I have taken from it and ask what your thoughts are then, maybe it will help someone else in the future.
Thanks
Ian - by Ian T
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.