Home > Prospecting > Buying Sales Leads

Buying Sales Leads

I was colded called about purchasing sales leads. Is this something that i can use with success or is wasting my money. I have never used a lead company before? - by k-gressler
I was colded called about purchasing sales leads. Is this something that i can use with success or is wasting my money.
I think it depends on your industry and what kind of leads you're talking about. - by SalesGal
I've worked for companies that paid for "Telemarketing" leads. For every appointment that was scheduled the telemarketer was paid a base amount. For every appointment that converted into a sale and addition sum was paid to the telemarketer. - by MagicMan
Working as a real estate broker I get the occasional call asking if I want to pay for leads in the form of a 25% referral fee.

So far, I've always said, "No." My reasoning is that these "leads" are most likely pretty cold compared to a traditional "referral" and I would rather invest that 25% into my own marketing plan. - by AZBroker
...My reasoning is that these "leads" are most likely pretty cold compared to a traditional "referral" and I would rather invest that 25% into my own marketing plan.
I agree with AZ, leads aren't worth anything if they haven't been properly "qualified", which is, that they are known to be currently in need of and able to pay for your product/service.;) - by Doc MC
I just spent almost a year with HOME Gain had 300 leads and only had maybe 12 contact me. And most of them could not qualify for a loan. I'm sure some people do well but I think I will invest my money and time in generating my own leads.

Charles - by indyrealty
I just spent almost a year with HOME Gain had 300 leads and only had maybe 12 contact me. And most of them could not qualify for a loan. I'm sure some people do well but I think I will invest my money and time in generating my own leads.
I wondered if Home Gain leads were any good. Thanks for the information. :) - by WobblyBox
I actualy work for a leads company- InfoUSA. It realy depends on your business situation. A good List Consultant will help you determine if and what list products will help your business. Some questions I would normaly ask a prospect are: What is your product? What is your Target Market? Geographic area? Special demographics? Marketing practice: telemarketing, mailing, email, faxing etc. Budget requirements? If your sales person is not asking these questions hang up the phone, These are all very important in creating a custom list that will be effective in generating strong prospects for you.
Also there are companies out there that supply pay per usage and percentage based lists- watch out for these. Pricing should vary based on volume from 0.45 to 0.10 per record for general business and consumer records. If anyone ever has specific questions or needs help in this area feel free to PM or email me, I would be more than happy to help. - by listseller
I'm curious, my company has never bought lists. What type of information about the potential contacts is included on the lists ? Is there any guarantee that the info is accurate? - by Doc MC
I'm curious, my company has never bought lists. What type of information about the potential contacts is included on the lists ? Is there any guarantee that the info is accurate?
With my company we guarantee 90% deliverability and statisticaly it actualy tends to be 97% accurate. With business records you recieve adress, phone, contacts, titles,fax, website, sales volume, number of employees, SIC code/industry, franchise lines, number of pcs, and ad size in the yellow pages. All of these are phone verified and lists can be created using specific criteria.

Consumer info can include gender, mail order, income, homeownership, age, vehicle presence, mortgage, bankruptcy, presence of children, ethnicity etc.

I actualy use our list for my own prospecting and have found them to be quite accurate, Once in a while I will run across a contact that has left the company, but that is to be expected. If you would like more information feel free to pm or email me. I am available by phone as well for anyone who would like info on lists @ 888-800-0168 x 6795. Hope this was helpful!

Good Selling,
Misty - by listseller
The original poster was cold called by a company to sell him leads. Maybe I'm mixed up on the terminology of your industry but I'd ask the lead company why you cannot get you own leads for free by cold calling?

I depends on what you sell I expect. In industrial sales I already have lists of many prospects in my territory that I can call on. Paper mills, powerplants, and hospitals don't move too often.

If I was selling to general consumers then I'd try to focus on the folks in my town. The vacuum salesmen just go from door to door and call on everybody. So they don't need a list, if someone shows interest they followup with a presentation.

I guess I just don't understand why any salesman would need to by a list. Can someone help me get this? - by Door knocker
I have answered this in a recent post called the life expectancy of a lead. I would say don't buy leads, find your own, you be the judge and jury as to how much time and effort that lead is worth. - by Incidentally
Working from a list of highly targeted prospects based on economic, geographic, or other key factors identified in your ideal prospect profile is smart prospecting. ;wi - by Calvin
I guess I just don't understand why any salesman would need to by a list. Can someone help me get this?
Here is one perspective Door knocker; in any particular area only a small percentage of people are buyers for your product or service. A salesperson's time is better spent prospecting and selling this smaller group. If a list could be compiled that contained the information of the people in the particular area likely to be in this smaller group why wouldn't you use the list? - by AZBroker
Working from a list of highly targeted prospects based on economic, geographic, or other key factors identified in your ideal prospect profile is smart prospecting. ;wi
I'll take targeted prospecting over aimless prospecting any day. :fri - by SpeedRacer
I realize this post is over two years old from it's original post but we're always looking for quality leads right? ;bg

I've worked with various lead brokers in the past and have experienced results ranging from a 15% non-deliverable rate with a pitiful (and costly) 0.2% return on a targeted direct mailing from a "bargain broker"... to my present day approx. 7.5% non-deliverable with a practically unheard of 2.1% return!

I'm currently working with InfoUSA and I've been very pleased with their quality and accuracy.

To date, they are 2nd to none in the industry for my company's lead generation.

I'm in contract with them for the year and spend $150 per month to cherry pick their entire data base.

A bargain... I tell ya!

Juss passin' it along ;co - by bluenote
Thanks for the feedback on InfoUSA Bluenote. thmbp2; - by AZBroker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.