Home > Closing > Take Away Close

Take Away Close

Please post your scripts for: "Take Away Close." - by Jeff Blackwell
Folks if your Tv went on the blink and you decided to buy another, and you found the perfect one for you and it was on sale Saturday only, Would you wait until Sunday to go buy it? Of course not. I would gladly come back and give you this same figure, but that's not my call. Have you ever heard the old saying, You better get while the gettings good." Folks let's move forward with the project while you can save the most money. - by klozerking
You "Yes John, this one over here is great, however, not everyones in position to take advantage of that?" (Pause)

Moments of silence are always vital

Prospect "well why not, is it really expensive or something?"

You "Well no its not that, its actually a little less, however, we only accept cash payment on those, but these ones (uglier less desirable ones) can be put on a low interest loan program so that you dont have to pay all at once!" (Show the terms of the loan and interest)

Prospect "what....well what about the other one, you said it cost a little less...how much less?"

You "Well its a little less sure but like i said, (sound skeptical) thats only if youre in position to pay cash and make a decision today and all that, so i wouldnt want you to feel like thats your only option!"

Prospect "well what if we are in position to buy today, what if we do have cash, just how much would it be?"

You "well i mean, you know that program has some incentives like i said that you dont get with the loan, however, like i said, thats just cuz of the circumstances, you happen to be seeing me in the last week of the month and all (its a fluke in other words) so like i say, this is only if you can take delivery when its convenient for us....."

Prospect "Ok so if we're fexible on delivery, what would be the incentive"

You "well ok, see they have a rebate going on right now and todays the last day, or i have a contest or a goal im trying to reach an i only have 3 days left and its getting down to the wire and im under a lot of pressure (not the customer), so im willing if you see the benefits, to help out and give you an additional 10% off, however keep in mind thats only if youre taking it today, not tommorrow or next week, cuz it wont count for my bonus, goal whatever....and thats the only reason my boss/manager/supervisor is allowing me to do this.....i talked with him earlier in the day about what I could do if i really have to to win this contest and he said hed allow me to do this. However, the other thing you know....see youd have to promise you arent gonna spread the word about that" (sound skeptical, as if you know most people cant keep their mouth shut about a good deal)

Prospect "well we'll promise not to tell anyone, we dont talk to anyone..."

You "Youre confident about that, you really would try to not tell everyone about that... cuz thats important to us..."

Prospect "no we definitely wont, we're very quiet..."

you "ok well that sounds like a great option for you in that case, however, in order to even take advantage of any of it, they would need to having a copy of your drivers license." (sound skeptical)

Prospect "oh yeah i have that right here..." - by planrecruiter
Please post your scripts for: "Take Away Close."
"Now the problem while you're THINKING IT OVER. We might not HAVE Model 4637A in that color, and we might not to be able to get any more......should I check?...

(Now phoning)

"Fred, are we OUT OF 4637A in Charteuese color? Yeah, I think so to...but check anyway. I'll hold..

"None left? What--you have ONE? You don't have one?? LOOK IN BIN 3.

"You've GOT one! ..

Folks, we have ONE...you want it?

TAG IT, Fred! Put the name of..._______."

That's the take away close at its most malipulative. - by Ace Coldiron
Please post your scripts for: "Take Away Close."
Here is a garden variety Take Away Close that is both simple and effective, mixing take away with a minor point close at the end.

Based on similar deals I’ve seen recently, this is a really good price.

You can get what you really want or what you’re most comfortable with. I can go either way.

My job is to help you get what you want so you don’t have to settle.

If you want price to be the deciding factor let’s go look at a different vehicle.

Would you like that or can you stretch a bit to get this one.

To your success, - by Tony_B
Here is a garden variety Take Away Close that is both simple and effective, mixing take away with a minor point close at the end.

Based on similar deals Iíve seen recently, this is a really good price.

You can get what you really want or what youíre most comfortable with. I can go either way.

My job is to help you get what you want so you donít have to settle.

If you want price to be the deciding factor letís go look at a different vehicle.

Would you like that or can you stretch a bit to get this one.

To your success,
I like that very much. - by Ace Coldiron
I have been successful working with other companies such as ABC Company and XYZ Company. WXYZ TV may not be a fit for you but it will only take about fifteen minutes to find out. - by MPrince
I have been successful working with other companies such as ABC Company and XYZ Company. WXYZ TV may not be a fit for you but it will only take about fifteen minutes to find out.
I'm drawn to that, but not just from the standpoint of technique.

But-- regarding it from a technique vantage point, it's somewhat similar to what Sandler taught--not quite "striplining", but close. Not exactly a "take away" close either. I remember years ago when the term "reverse psychology" was used.

In your usage, I get the impression that the statement is backed by an honest position, for the prospect's sake AND your own.

I would use that in a sales conversation. - by Ace Coldiron
Pretty intuitive! - by MPrince
Pretty intuitive!
Cursed with it, Martha. - by Ace Coldiron
I'm drawn to that, but not just from the standpoint of technique.

But-- regarding it from a technique vantage point, it's somewhat similar to what Sandler taught--not quite "striplining", but close. Not exactly a "take away" close either. I remember years ago when the term "reverse psychology" was used.

In your usage, I get the impression that the statement is backed by an honest position, for the prospect's sake AND your own.

I would use that in a sales conversation.
'Striplining" is one of the many techniques in the Sandler tool box. It isn't obvious to the prospective buyer as your typical 'take aways' used by many salespeople is. Prospects have had the typical take aways used on them for years, they can see and feel it, as it is happening. - by Paulette Halpern
'Striplining" is one of the many techniques in the Sandler tool box. It isn't obvious to the prospective buyer as your typical 'take aways' used by many salespeople is. Prospects have had the typical take aways used on them for years, they can see and feel it, as it is happening.
Yes, I agree. Often very transparent. - by Ace Coldiron
Cursed with it, Martha.
You are cursed with a gift that you share with struggling sales people. very interesting... - by MPrince
I have been successful working with other companies such as ABC Company and XYZ Company. WXYZ TV may not be a fit for you but it will only take about fifteen minutes to find out.
I need to go back to this and comment so that there be NO misunderstanding.

As I pointed out, I endorse what Martha has presented. It is BETTER than what is commonly referred to as a Take Away Close. It reveals a high level of understanding that Martha has.

There was some discussion afterwards that addressed The Take Away Close in a somewhat disapproving manner. What Martha has chosen to share is an example of an EXCELLENT ALTERNATIVE to that technique.

We gain by her presence on this forum. - by Ace Coldiron
I need to go back to this and comment so that there be NO misunderstanding.

As I pointed out, I endorse what Martha has presented. It is BETTER than what is commonly referred to as a Take Away Close. It reveals a high level of understanding that Martha has.

There was some discussion afterwards that addressed The Take Away Close in a somewhat disapproving manner. What Martha has chosen to share is an example of an EXCELLENT ALTERNATIVE to that technique.

We gain by her presence on this forum.
Ace

You and this forum has enriched my sales life and I have gained much more from you than you have me.

Thank you

Martha - by MPrince
This is a close I do not have experience with . The reason I do not need this close.

My question is why does it get to the point where we must manipulate the client in this way to threaten that it is the last one or a price hike is coming soon to force the client into a decision NOW.

Why have we not found the need or driven the want in our client to make a decision now. This is a serious question by the way.

The only time I use this question deals with a special order item that I do not normally stock. However this is not a take away close as it only means that it wil take 7-10 days to receive the special order in most cases. It is more a time issue than a take away. - by rich34232
My question is why does it get to the point where we must manipulate the client in this way to threaten that it is the last one or a price hike is coming soon to force the client into a decision NOW.

Why have we not found the need or driven the want in our client to make a decision now. This is a serious question by the way.
In my OPINION... if it aint true, salesmen have no business using any manipulative close. Unless you walk him to the back lot, or in the case of our lots when I worked for a dealership, into the warehouse, and went looking around for another of the same color, you've no business saying that's the last one etc if you've three more in storage.

Sales is manipulative, and a threat can certainly be legitimate. Pointing it out shouldn't be considered negative behavior if you are sincere.

Aloha... :cool: shds; - by rattus58
Hi Rich!

My replies within your quote are in RED.

This is a close I do not have experience with . The reason I do not need this close.

My question is why does it get to the point where we must manipulate the client in this way to threaten that it is the last one or a price hike is coming soon to force the client into a decision NOW. Because someone else will create the urgency and close the sale. It's not a way to manipulate the client but it is a way to stop a manipulating client.

Why have we not found the need or driven the want in our client to make a decision now. This is a serious question by the way. Speaking in regards to the Takeaway, It's not necessarily that we have not found the need but maybe it's because the market is saturated with 20,000 other places the customer can buy a red Toyota today.

The only time I use this question deals with a special order item that I do not normally stock. However this is not a take away close as it only means that it wil take 7-10 days to receive the special order in most cases. It is more a time issue than a take away.
Let me think of a Takeaway example in your business....

Let's say you have a customer who is getting prices and they see that you have good credentials and credibility since you teach apprenticeships at the local college and so the customer is inclined to go with you if your pricing is reasonable. Now let's say they want a Toto toilet and Grohe hardware but they are hoping to get a bit bigger discount. One form of a Takeaway would be to educate them on the value and offer them the American Standard with Hansgrohe instead.

That is not being manipulative but it is a way to handle a possibly manipulative customer with a Takeaway by educating them at what they get for the money they are 'offering' or 'budgeting' or even if they are sincere in that being all they have to spend.

Many people are willing to stretch and get the nicer items even if they can't afford them but that is not your decision to make. Just educate as their consultant. - by Tony_B
Tony we can turn anything aorund to make it right it still is not right.A manipulative client or are we really maniplulating them. Why is the client manipulating?Could it be something we have said or done? In every case where a client has not moved forward I can look at my process and find something I should have said or done or something I should not have said or done.It was not the client who did something. In my view we make excuses to justify the loss of a sale and in some cases a legitmate reason that allowed us to make the sale.

I do not get moving the client into a different product as a take away close. That would be an either or close or alternative close.

If there are 20,000 other places to get the product there is no need for a take away close as the client knows they can get it at those 20,000 other places. That tells the client it does not matter if you have none or one left.We must fill a need, want, can use or afford to gain the ownership exchange.
These are not argumentive they are the facts. The examples you have given do not hold water and the bucket has many holes.

The take away close simply gives the sales person the right to manipulate the client in the sales persons mind. One that I do not see the need to use and one that I do not use.

My question still needs to be answered as to why YOU think you must use the take away close or what was not done that you have to use this type of close.

I know what the take away close is and why I do not use it or have a need to use it. - by rich34232
In every case where a client has not moved forward I can look at my process and find something I should have said or done or something I should not have said or done.It was not the client who did something. In my view we make excuses to justify the loss of a sale and in some cases a legitmate reason that allowed us to make the sale.
I agree with your view on the Take Away Close.

I don't understand the statements quoted above.

You said: "..I can look at my process and find something I should have said or done or something I should not have said or done. It was not the client who did something."

Then you said "In my view we make excuses to justify the loss of a sale.."

How can it be both? Or--by "we" do you mean others?

If I lose a sale that I believe I should have written, I do an excruciating post mortem on that event. Excuses aren't bankable and I think most pros know that. - by Ace Coldiron
I agree with your view on the Take Away Close.

I don't understand the statements quoted above.

You said: "..I can look at my process and find something I should have said or done or something I should not have said or done. It was not the client who did something."

Then you said "In my view we make excuses to justify the loss of a sale and in some cases a legitmate reason that allowed us to make the sale..."

How can it be both? Or--by "we" do you mean others?

If I lose a sale that I believe I should have written, I do an excruciating post mortem on that event. Excuses aren't bankable and I think most pros know that.
I can agree that we as salesmen can make excuses to justify the loss of a sale and if I'm understanding this correctly, which is difficult sometimes, we also make excuses for making the sale by employing bad behaviors?

Aloha... :cool:shds; - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.