Home > Interview > Permission to ask questions

Permission to ask questions

Mr. Smith, I'm with ABC company. We've been in business since [date] and in that time we've help [number] of companies like yours [increase profits, reduce costs, improve productivity, etc.]. What I'd like to do is ask you a few quick questions to see if it makes sense for our companies to do business together. Is that acceptable to you? - by Jeff Blackwell
Since I work Primarily by e-mail I post the meet of my prospecting e-mail. It's designed just to get a reply. I use a product Highlight just above this:

How are you? I hope everything is going great. I am writing to you to make contact with regards to the new company that I am working with, Winsonic. They are a Taiwan Manufacturer of LCD Monitors and LCD TV’s. You can see their products at the following link:

http://www.domain.com

If you would please give me just a few minutes I would like to ask you a few questions. Do you currently buy similar products from Taiwan? Do you have trouble in some aspects of the relationship you have with your Taiwan Supplier? Do you have customers looking for low cost Video Solutions? If the answer to any of these questions is yes I hope you will let me know, I would be very happy to show you how Winsonic has the answers your looking for.

**** I use the "yes" technique on the questions at the end. I know most people I prospect will answer yes to the first 3 questions..

Hope this is what your looking for. - by Landisintaiwan
I want to help you so let me ask you a couple of questions to see if this is going to work. - by SpeedRacer
I'd like to ask you a few questions about how you currently handle ****. Based on those answers, we'll find out together if there might be a better way for you to ****** - by Coda1108
Hello, my name is XXX, I am with YYY company, sorry to interrupt you, may I ask for your (product/services) who are you currently use? A, B or C?

oh? C? that's great! now, I don't want to waste your time, so i'll just ask you a few direct questions that matters to you to find out if there is any (saving/value/benefits) for you. If not I'll be out of here, sound fair?

then start probing.. - by djphong
A productive way for real estate agents to find more sellers and buyers is to call 20 neighbors to each new listing. We teach this dialogue:

'I'm name/company. We have just listed the Dudley home at 1449 Elm. I am calling to let you know that it is for sale and that I will be very pleased if we can find new owners who will become real fine neighbors for you. Would you mind if I asked a few questions that will let me do that? - by Jerry Bresser
Hello,
I am Mike Smith owner and the salesman of Mr. Mike's Painting. You requested a 2:00 appointment for your Interior Painting right.

Oh great I'm on time then, you are Mrs. Jones Right? Did Mr. Jones Make it today? Or Hello Mr. Jones if hes looking at you,lol.

I don't want to take up much of your time, and I must start out by saying I ride around all day giving estimates and doing business for all kinds of people all day in this area. The truth is I have Mrs. Smith's agenda on my mind right now I just talked to her an hour ago and now I'm with you.

To help get me on your agenda I have a list of questions that will put me on your agenda, is there any where we can sit down for a minute or three and go over everything we may be doing for you today?

Please suggest any changes that need to be made for this also.

Thanks in advance or enjoy. - by Mr. Mike
Hello,
I am Mike Smith owner and the salesman of Mr. Mike's Painting. You requested a 2:00 appointment for your Interior Painting right.

"Hello, I'm Mike Smith of Mr. Mike's Painting". (They already know you are on time. Never call attention to something you do right. Let the prospect DO THAT. Let the prospect also surmise that you are the owner.)

Oh great I'm on time then, you are Mrs. Jones Right? Did Mr. Jones Make it today? Or Hello Mr. Jones if hes looking at you,lol.

"It's nice to meet you both" (See comment above.)

I don't want to take up much of your time, and I must start out by saying I ride around all day giving estimates and doing business for all kinds of people all day in this area. The truth is I have Mrs. Smith's agenda on my mind right now I just talked to her an hour ago and now I'm with you.

NEVER say "I don't want to take up too much of your time. NEVER! Never describe yourself as "riding around all day"! Never use the word "estimate". Never say "The truth is..." And NEVER EVER tell a prospect that you have someone else on your mind. The person in front of of you is who you should have on your mind. Never say "all kinds of people". Say "in our community".

To help get me on your agenda I have a list of questions that will put me on your agenda, is there any where we can sit down for a minute or three and go over everything we may be doing for you today?

Preface a single question with a statement beginniing with "As I understand it..." Then ask permission by simply saying "May I ask about that?" Forget that "agenda" stuff. Don't ask "Is there anywhere we can sit down?" Pick a setting and ask, "can we sit here?" - by Ace Coldiron
Mr. Smith, I'm with ABC company. We've been in business since [date] and in that time we've help [number] of companies like yours [increase profits, reduce costs, improve productivity, etc.]. What I'd like to do is ask you a few quick questions to see if it makes sense for our companies to do business together. Is that acceptable to you?
After the obligatory who I am and what I do:

Begin with a statement realtive to the prospect: "As I understand it,..." Then simply say "May I ask about that?"

The simplest, most natural, and most effective request for permission that I have ever learned. And I use it religously. - by Ace Coldiron
Not sure if this is better but here goes it.

Hello, I'm Mike Smith of Mr. Mike's Painting. It's nice to meet you both. As I understand it you are interested in getting some interior painting done. Great may I ask you a few things to help me provide you with exactly your needs?

Would your table right here be a good place to sit down at? - by Mr. Mike
Hello,

Please suggest any changes that need to be made for this also.

Thanks in advance or enjoy.

Mike this is my field of expertise. I do this on a daily basis and I also train sales techncians within the service industry.
A basic misconception that introductions by name are a must.They are not. First your office has called the client to let them know you are going to be there today. Call them when your ehading to the client.Ask if tyey need anything.When they say no stop and purchase a lottery ticket.
Get out of your vehicle swiftly,go to door knock,ring the doorbell.step back and adjust your body to a slight angle looking away from the door.They have made a decision within the first two to five minutes to do business with you.
Once at the door say your hellos,if tyey give you a name say yours if not it is no big deal.Ask do you have a place that is comfortable for you to discuss a few questions. Make small talk on your way. If they mention a vacationb golf game baseball football,it does not matter start talking about the items that are important to them.
For arguments sake say a vacation ask them where, how did they get there, how long did they stay, what did they do etc. Questions designed to make them your friend and you a friend to them. They are designed to allow the client to becoem comfortable with you. They are designed to receive yes answers.It really does not matter how long the conversations is.Just keep the conversation real and flowing.Build the rewlationship.
Then ask how much they know about how you do business. Whether they know or not let them know again.New client how muchh did they tell you about how we do business.Existing client how much do you remember on how we do business. I give 1oo% satisfaction never say offer 100% you give 100% satisfaction it is not an offer.It must be accepted not rejected.
List every little detail no matter how small it is.I cover all floors with drop clothes I tape off windows,baseboards,moldings.No detail is to small to list.Others do this also but no one informs the client they do them.
When your completed with your presntation and proposal say sound good to you?Let me call the office to schedule a date and time.
Ask during the presentation or meet and greet how the client thinks you will do for them. They probably will respond great . That is an owning signal.
I would love to go over more of the service type closings,objections and concerns with you .I would love to go into more detail about the presentation and solution and when to go over this with the client.How to engage the client,how to enjoy the ownership exchange. - by rich34232
service industry sales are different from cold calling companies, they are different then sales with copier machines. They are different then phone sales telemarketing. Your talking with the ceo when your dealing with a home owner. They must know you care before they care what you know.
Five grand is a lot of money when your with a home owner. This is a personal typesales process where 80-90 % of the sales you make are relationship sales where they own just because they like you.Product,benefit and features mean very little to those percentages.Your promise that it will do the job for them means more.
In the past I have had sales as low as three hundred dollars and as high as thrity two thousand dollars with a homeowner for service work - by rich34232
wow....yeah this script is a piece, you need to totally scratch that approach... it is just so off on so many levels.... youre riding around the neighborhood all day....?? youd want to change that to something like

"Ive been meeting with quite a few of your neighbors this week... and ever since they extended this silly little neighbor to neighbor referall discount program ...its just gotten really busy....and our schedules have been jammed packed...luckily my afternoon today is fairly light, so I can make sure we cover all the details here...now if i recall from the notes i have here you all wanted some information on colors for your homes interior...."

I mean think about it....if the person is setting an appointment with you to come give them a painting estimate.....what they are really probably looking for is CONFIDENCE....that you arent gonna do a sloppy job....that you ARE gonna spend a little extra time with them and really make sure their needs are met...

you never say you dont want to take much time .... thats equal to saying "this is gonna take awhile"

instead make it seem kind of "obvious" that it is just a quick estimate...in other words...use body language and voice inflection to make it seem like its no big deal.... as far as taking up their time....theyll make time an issue if you make it an issue.... what you gotta do is build value in at least evaluating your product - by planrecruiter
I am going to assume that you are already face to face … that this is what your thread is about. If that is true, the prospect knows why you are there or is at your location, they need information, we do not need permission to ask questions really. What we need is to make sure we are in control of the communications, only in as much as we have to gather information to increase our potential of getting the business.

For the painter this means leading them into talking. If you are visiting, which is preferable, so you can price the job, you have already entered their house, told them you are the person they expected, chit chatted for a moment, now it is time to gain information. Inseatd of this;

Hello, I'm Mike Smith of Mr. Mike's Painting. It's nice to meet you both. As I understand it you are interested in getting some interior painting done. Great may I ask you a few things to help me provide you with exactly your needs
Something like this;

"It's nice to meet you both. On the phone you mentioned your possible interest in us doing some interior painting for you, can you show me what you are thinking of getting done?"

You job now is not only to assess the work required but to see if they have other quotes, to get a feel for urgency and to stand out if there are competitors.

Mr. Smith, I'm with ABC company. We've been in business since [date] and in that time we've help [number] of companies like yours [increase profits, reduce costs, improve productivity, etc.]. What I'd like to do is ask you a few quick questions to see if it makes sense for our companies to do business together. Is that acceptable to you?
“We’ve been in business for 8 years and in that time we have increased the profits of other businesses just like yours by reducing costs and through dramatically increasing productivity. In order to share specifics about how we can do the same for your company, I need to understand a little more about your operation, can you start by sharing with me what areas you feel may need improving?”

I did not place an intro at the beginning of this as I am unsure if this is over the phone, if it is we ought not to have been asking questions at all. If it is not, we do not barge into a room and start going on about benefits the second we finished the intro. We say high, site down, trade cards … chit chat a moment then gain control of the meeting.

We also don’t need to ask for permission to ask questions. A sharp buyer is going to understand you can’t know specifically what is happening in their business without doing so, get into it, I have never had anyone either say; “Hey, you did not even ask for permission to ask questions” with incredulity or even display a pained look as if they were thinking that but did not say it.

Some buyers want to control the conversation, by asking “What have you got?” Or; “What do you offer?” Or; “What do you do?” Clearly, if we tell them too much we loose out on gathering information and thereby uncovering needs and pain, we need to ask to understand. If you get into this, state the General Benefit Statement again (you should have done that over the phone) and proceed with asking your first question after redirecting the discussion using similar wording to part of my script above. - by Gold Calling
I think the most important thing about doing work on say someones home such as painting or something more invasive such as roof work or new windows.... you want to show absolute CONFIDENCE... if you are unsure about whether you can ask an interested prospect some reasonable questions usually says that you are not experienced or confident..

Like I said in another posting....know your product great, know your industry even better. Remember, the only reason you sell what you do is not so much just to make a living, but because you saw a huge need for say higher quality paint jobs that would last longer or whatever... in other words you are just trying to help people in need or people who arent being served well.... if you come across like that, you will be much more likely to earn the business...

such as if you are selling a new suit.... a guy buying a new suit for the first time....he may have no idea what the best one to buy would be....and hes not confident in his own decision.... whos he gonna count on for advice on a new suit....? unless hes got a friend whos opinion he values or something of the like...hes gonna be counting on you....the salesperson to be able to tell him why someone would really want to spend $500 on a suit as opposed to say $200....

and hes gonna be looking for sensible answers such as maybe the more expensive one is made of a special material that you can provide sensible knowledge on so when you tell him that the $500 suit is worth it...he can trust you..... same with a paint job...why why is your paint job better than the rest....

at the same time...never dis...or cut the competition in any direct manner.... never say that nother company sucks....or that a customers made a bad decision last time they bought something.... instead ...their last decision was good...however this decision is just is just way better..this one is GREAT....

walk through their home.... dont put down there current pain, at the same time, be able to recognize what you can do better...

it sounds silly, but you got to VISUALIZE the deal for the greatest chance of it happening...

you have to imagine the proccess of payment and whatever service or product being delivered. This opens up all the possibilities. - by planrecruiter
With any type of home renovation sales we have to remember eighty percent or more are relationship purchases.Where they simply purchase because they like you.
The old saying the client does not care what you know until they know you care is very important. After this is accomplished product knowledge becomes important.
It is correct you do not have to receive permission to ask questions.Your questions are going to be geared at finding out what they want. What they expect and your goal, to exceed their expectations.
To many people with renovations want too talk over the clients head,keep it simple and explain the terms in simple forms. When you are technical try to follow the technical terms with "which means" and explain them in laymans terms.A lot of these joibs are lost due to confusion the client has with terms.They do not understand and do not wish to ask for an explanation. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.