Home > Resistance > We want a better price/ discount.

We want a better price/ discount.

Please post your response(s) to: "We want a better price/ discount." - by Community Mailbox
Assuming we could give you better pricing, what other factors besides price could have an impact on your decision? - by SalesGuy
I understand that price is very important to you, as it is me. But whats more important to me is the [product] has everything that you need and that you like the [product]. You wouldn't pay for [product] if you didnt like it would you?" - by jrboyd
What price did you have in mind?

Exactly what percentage discount do you have in mind?

If the client commits to a price no matter how outrageous it may be that is a commitment! (In my opinion) - by MPrince
You state that you would like a better price? Usually that infers you are comparing in the marketplace? What are the existing prices that we need to better today?

In my opinion it's just a matter of wanting to get the BEST deal and not look like a fool...

"Mr Customer - I'm not here to seel you 1 car, or 2 or even three, my goal today is to give you the best possible experience AND the best price you will get from any of our dealers, so that you, your family, your work colleagues and you neighbors all grow to purchase directly through me, because you will eventually learn that you can trust me and what I will do for you"

et al. - by Morgasshk
Either, "What price were you looking for?" OR my favorite..."I get the feeling that you're concerned you're not getting the best price...is that fair to say?" -this one works because a) your prospect is not expecting this response from you and b) it forces your prospect to share more information which helps you gain more clarity and leverage in the selling situation! - by CoachMaria
Please post your response(s) to: "We want a better price/ discount."
The response I have used for years--successfully--is this.

"I can't give you a better price. If I could I would. But I know this price is fair--VERY fair."

You have to UNDERSTAND the customer. EVERYBODY wants a better price. That DOES NOT mean it is a prerequisite for buying.

"We want a better price/ discount." is NOT an objection. It is an honest statement. " "I can't give you a better price." is also an honest statement. It's OK for two parties to make honest statements. - by Gary A Boye
I see a ton of sales people get hung up on a price objection. I agree with Gary that it's really not an objection.

Looking at it in terms of an objection, it is the easiest one to overcome. I don't believe that there is just one magic phrase to respond with. Come up with a guide that works for you.

I always let customers vent about the price, and I usually will support it by saying "These are expensive systems, and its usually an expense that is unexpected. I would rather justify my price once for you, rather than apologize down the road for an improper installation."

Obviously, that is geared towards my industry but the concept is the same everywhere. Let them gripe about the price, and agree with them about the price. All you have to do then is justify your price, if you believe in what your selling, its easy! - by JimHuntsman
It seems to me as soon as client states that a better price is wanted most sales people automatically want to drop their price thinking that the sales is a done deal. I have a difficult time with accepting this concept. As Gary has stated, this alone will not prevent the sale from moving forward.

At this time I have three options as a sales person. I can drop the price which still does not guarantee a sale. I can stay firm with no further discussion and possibly loose the sale. Or I can ask questions. I like the question of why? Once I understand and know why the client wants a lower price I now can provide the proper reasons to own at my price for him or her. I believe at this time it is no longer an emotional response to own and is now leading to a logical response and action to own. This is what I call reasons to own and I must have reasons why more people do business with me on this very product and service.

We all can lower price and make less than we should. I need a certain profit margin in order to give the quality products and the outstanding service and service after the sale. I need my price in order to stay in business and keep the excellent people I have surrounding me and the company. I would rather offer a lesser product than to drop my price. A trade off of sorts a lesser price what are you willing to forgo in order to receive that lower price.

Before I am ready to offer a solution and price to my client I have already built a sound base where I believe I am ready to predict what the client will or will not do and am prepared to move him or her into the proper product and service. I already know what value is to the client and what is valuable to him or her. I have discovered what the client wants this product to do that is better than their existing product and situation. Driving this with the sale in my profession usually offsets I want a lower price.

Is it price or cost that is bothering the client at this time? Will terms make it easier for him or her?
- by rich34232
In my field of selling internet marketing services, more often than not, the pre-qualification of client expectations and work required to help get a client's website a) to the top of search engines, b) converting visitors and c) building their brand online often negates the above request from coming up.

When I engage with a (potential) new client, price and discounts couldn't be further from my mind. Before speaking to them I'll probably spend a short amount of time running a checklist of their website. Then once online objectives have been confirmed during our conversation, I'll quickly move onto how much they have to spend and what budget they have to play with.

Because I know what it will generally take to help a website reach high rankings and be found locally / nationally online (especially in a competitive market place), I pretty much know whether their budget will enable me (or another consultant) to achieve what they're after.

In my field, you generally have 3 types of SEO(ers) - those who know what they're doing and therefore charge accordingly, those who don't know what they're doing and charge bargain basement prices as they do bit-part SEO for a part-time hobby and those who blatantly rip people off (5 of my last 7 clients came from unfortunate horror stories - thats another topic for another day!).

When I first agree to chat to a new client or referral (my time is valuable, isn't yours?) I am as blatantly upfront and direct to them as possible about their expectations - and if they don't have expectations or don't have a budget (or at least an idea of what they are willing to spend) I won't speak to them - simple as.

Be honest people, how much time have you wasted on "prospects" who say all the ring things to keep you talking ;-), then go elsewhere for a better price, using your knowledge to beat down someone else?

One thing running own business has taught me is this: time is money, meetings cost money and bad prospects (if they're not spotted soon enough) can help you burn money (by the tractor-trailor load).

Just my 2 cents shds; - by Tonyd
This objection or question is not the problem but the symptom of poor selling techniques and methods.

This is easily proven with 99.9 percent of those that ask if you simply pin them down to the fact they will absolutely buy the lowest priced solution -- AND THEY WON'T!! (Except for that .001 percent.)

The simple answer to this who discussion can be summed up in the definition of an objection as given by Zig Ziggler (I'm paraphrasing)

"If the prospect won't but there is only one reason -- his stack of money looks a lot bigger than your stack of benefits."

In other words the seller who gets this objection has not shown or "sold" sufficient value in their offer.

Look at it this way -- shouldn't we assume that the solution costs less than the problem.

If you had a car that was worth $300 but it would cost $800 to fix it there's probably no reason to succeed.

We must assume that the seller is selling something that is of higher value than it's price. And if we do the price question makes no sense.

Price objections are almost always caused by sellers who bring this subject up or do it incorrectly. Saying anything about the price before the value has been established is a sure way to arrive at this objection when you ask for the order.

The price of your offer should be presented in relation to the value of the solution not on the whims of the prospect's own belief often based on comparing apples and oranges.

I hope this is useful. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
I don't agree with Mr. Penoyer's thoughts regarding this topic. The subject has come up before. You CANNOT guarantee making a sale no matter how good your methods. Principles of strategy dictate that the sale always rests with the prospect. Our job is to make our engagement INVULNERABLE, not invincible. That means if we lose the sale it won't be by our own hand.

I encourage others to be very discerning about this topic. Rid yourself of the notion that if the prospect raises an issue, it's your fault. It may or may not be.

Rich, in his post above, has explained the matter quite well--drawn from experience, not cliches. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.