Home > Customer Service > Interrupted Appointment

Interrupted Appointment

What would you do... if you had a scheduled appointment with a prospect and when you arrived at the appointment, on time, another salesperson was there talking with the prospect about the same type of product/service? - by Jackie
What can you do really? You have to wait.:( This has happened to me on a few occasions. Sometimes when the prospect learns you have arrived, they will actually cut their time short with the other salesperson because you had an appointment. If you think about it, it is not a bad position to be in. You can find out about what your competitor was offering, and they may not be allowed the time to finish their presentation properly. Usually the prospect won't make a decision until hearing your proposal as well.:cool: It can make for some annoying days. In my industry I spend a lot of time waiting to see the buyers I am calling on.

Whatever you do, be polite when it is your turn!:) - by Doc MC
I've had this happen to me on more than one occassion.

It doesn't bother me too much as long as I'm not waiting around forever and the client still has time to talk with me. - by VB-Hack
The stories I could tell... anyway, this type of thing can actually work to your advantage.

For instance, let's say the salesperson ahead of you is really pushing for the order. The prospect knowing you're outside the door might use you as an excuse to conclude the interview thus avoiding making a buying decision. It happens. ;) - by WobblyBox
I'd take this as a sign that you're looking at a serious prospect. As for the other guy... at least you get the opportunity to present last. ;) - by Gilbert
On that same line...I was giving a presentation to a store owner when we were interrupted by a walk-in customer. The owner then proceeded to wait on them (understandably), for 35 minutes while I sat there twiddling my thumbs. I sat there and waited, but spend the whole time wondering if I should have packed up and told him I would come back. This put a major dent in the ground I covered that morning. He did not turn out to be a buyer, which only made me more frustrated :( for sitting there. - by RainMaker
I sat there and waited, but spend the whole time wondering if I should have packed up and told him I would come back. This put a major dent in the ground I covered that morning. He did not turn out to be a buyer, which only made me more frustrated :( for sitting there.
Been there. :p - by SalesPro
IMO, interrupted appointments for one reason or another, at one time or another, are inevitable.

Sometimes they happen up front like Jackie pointed out. Other times they happen during the interview like Cathie mentioned. Sometimes they happen just as you are about to sign the agreement.

As for what to do, I think it really depends on the individual situation or circumstances. No matter what... never let them see you sweat! ;) - by Frankie
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.