Home > Follow-up > No Call Back Policy

No Call Back Policy

My manager says to forget about "Call Backs." I don't know if he's telling me this so that I'll push harder while I'm there or whether "Call Backs" really do not convert well.

What does everyone else think about this? - by Newbie
I've been ingrained with the "no such thing as a be back," but I have converted followups to sales. I've actually had customers call me back. This is my 2 cents: 1). If they give you the ol' "I'll think it over..." routine, you better try to pull objections out of them, they may very well be lurking and there will not be a follow up sale if you do not clear these out while you are presenting 2). Try like heck to close them while you are there, because the prospect is most definitely the greatest at that time, but not to the point of burning your bridge. 3). IMO, a product that offers real value will still have appeal even after the customer has "slept" on it, if they liked you, believed you, and saw benefits to them.

I will follow up with prospects who didn't buy if I feel they seemed like a strong candidate, but I consider these sales are bonuses, because I write them off in my mind, if they did not buy the first time around. - by RainMaker
I'm not sure if I am in favour of a blanket policy.

If you are truly working from the Buyer's perspective then you need to work the way they work and forget your own agenda.

I take each relationship as an individual and will always call back if it is part of the buyer's work process.

Sometimes, it can take 4 or 5 calls to get a complex sale through the system...

Sometimes, it is obvious that the buyer doesnt have a percieved problem to solve and are just trying to get you off the line... - by Julian
If you are using the right kind of sales process, you can quickly determine the probability of closing a prospect.

If the probability is low, there is about a three percent chance that you can stay there, keep pitching, and come out with an order. If you don't close it, there is then a five percent chance that you can get back in later.

The best strategy is to terminate the sales process immediately and leave. Tell the prospect that you are willing to come back at a latter date when they are ready to make a commitment. In that case, if you continue to call them with prospecting offers, there is a 48% chance of getting back in when they are ready to buy. - by JacquesWerth
I will take "Call Back" to mean that a potential buyer has chosen to not make a decision (e.g., buying, purchase) during a sales meeting and instead asked that you come back at a later time for his/her decision.

In one industry (e.g., home improvements) call backs may be strongly discouraged where as in another industry (e.g., major medical equipment) "Call Backs" are routine and customary. The same case could be said on a company and/or personal level.

In my experience, a policy of "no call backs" was more about preventing salespeople from getting in their own way than applying undue pressure on the potential buyer. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.