Home > Resistance > How much is it?

How much is it?

That depends. First, we have to find out which solution is best for you. From there we can determine the price. Let's get started by having you answer a couple of quick question... - by BossMan
What price range are considering? - by AZBroker
That depends. First, we have to find out which solution is best for you. From there we can determine the price. Let's get started by having you answer a couple of quick question...
Customer replies:

"Okay, but based on your experience and what you know so far, what ballpark would you say it's in?"

Doh! Now what? - by klozer
Customer replies:

"Okay, but based on your experience and what you know so far, what ballpark would you say it's in?"

Doh! Now what?
"I don't even know enough about your situation to provide you with a ballpark figure of any value." Then, without a pause, get right to your first question.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
My approach is to REDIRECT and convert to a QUESTION (whoever's asking the questions is controlling the process):

"Hey, handsome, we're just wondering how much money this is going to cost us."

"Good question. Let's figure out what you're going to need, so we can find out - are you thinking about moving up a bit, or were you thinking of consolidating into something smaller?"

"Just curious, what has changed for you that has you thinking about moving in that direction?"

"Really? Well congratulations. How many kids do you have?"

Etc.
- by DynamicMentalFitness
As with the price objection this question cannot and should not be answered directly.

Whether you sell very complex high dollar ticket items or commodities the only clear way to success is to establish VALUE before quoting a price. Doing the reverse here will lead to a price negotiation almost every time..

The only other way, and it may even be the best one, is to trial close them on the spot with a question like:

Well, if I get you the right price will you guarantee ME the purchase order on the spot?

This will shut most of this response up immediately and those that want to proceed now must identify exactly what they are trying to accomplish so you can give the appropriate price.

In the case of a commodity there are other factors besides product function that now come into play -- delivery, warranty, service and others.

But all discussions now lead into a normal sales process conversation such as SPIN or Solutions Selling.

By the way this is another example of the defect in most training.

If this question occurs then there should be a documented best practice for answering it provided by the company. If this was the case -- the question won't get asked as people already know the answer. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.