Home > Public Relations > Newspaper Press Release

Newspaper Press Release

I've read a lot and quite often I come across the suggestion to submit press releases to the local newspaper for free publicity.

Has anyone done this? If so, any advice? - by Newbie
As a business owner I've done this a lot. When I was a salesperson working for someone else I didn't do it at all.

I too would recommend "press releases" as another source of free advertising [publicity]. Press releases really aren't that hard to create and there are tutorials all over the web that show you how. I've even seen press release software. - by SalesGuy
I've written a couple press releases myself. It was actually pretty easy. Most of the newspapers I contacted were very happy to accept my press release. Of course, you never know when it's going to print. ;) - by Gilbert
I agree with Gilbert. Writing and submitting press releases is really pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

I would suggest giving it a go. ;) - by Widgets
I went to a listing appointment today and when I went inside guess what I saw sitting on the kitchen counter? That's right... my press release!

These work great! - by AZBroker
I went to a listing appointment today and when I went inside guess what I saw sitting on the kitchen counter? That's right... my press release!
That's awesome. Congratulations! - by SpeedRacer
Press releases can be a very inexpensive marketing tool that can generate great results.

This is one marketing tool that I recommend everyone in business learn how to use. ;) - by SalesCoach
I wrote a press release that resulted in phone call from a reporter who did a nice story and photo, which I then used as a launch pad for many subsequent sales. That was great:) ! What I am confused about is, do local newspapers ever just publish small press releases as fillers? (and do they tell you they are going to do it?) After the initial story, I never had any responses on press releases. It seemed they were only looking for new feature stories and after that... drop dead. I have definitely not learned how to utilize this to potential. - by RainMaker
I wrote a press release that resulted in phone call from a reporter who did a nice story and photo, which I then used as a launch pad for many subsequent sales. That was great:) !
Congratulations!

What I am confused about is, do local newspapers ever just publish small press releases as fillers? (and do they tell you they are going to do it?)
In my experience this is exactly what they do and no they typically will not contact you to let you know if and when the release is/was published.

After the initial story, I never had any responses on press releases. It seemed they were only looking for new feature stories and after that... drop dead.
This has been my experience too. ;) - by SalesGuy
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm working on a press release tonight that I plan to submit to the local newspaper. I'll let you know what happens. ;) - by Newbie
I've been wanting to write and distribute a press release for my website for ages, but for some reason it's hard for me to objectively promote myself. (I know, that's a huge hurdle that will have to be overcome!)

We're entering our busy season now, so it would be the perfect time to bite the bullet and go for it. What, in your opinion, makes a really good press release? The writing itself doesn't scare me, it's really the tooting of my own horn and then the distribution and follow up that are daunting.

Thanks for any help you can provide! - by CarrieGee
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.