Home > Resistance > We're going to do it ourselves

We're going to do it ourselves

Please post your response(s) to: "We're going to do it ourselves." - by Community Mailbox
Considering the value of your time wouldn't you actually be losing money by doing it yourself compared to what it would cost to hire a professional? - by Liberty
The only reason a prospective client says, "we're going to do it ourselves" is because they don't see the value in outsourcing it.

When the salesperson makes it their job to demonstrate value throughout the meeting, this objection will not occur. However.....on the odd occasion that you don't take the opportunity to demonstrate value, try asking

"What part of (the service you offer) do you enjoy the most?"

Once the prospective client has shared what s/he enjoys the most about (the service you offer) you can demonstrate how your knowledge is the missing link.

-Terri - by Terri
The only reason a prospective client says, "we're going to do it ourselves" is because they don't see the value in outsourcing it.

When the salesperson makes it their job to demonstrate value throughout the meeting, this objection will not occur.
That's not the only reason. Some people try to fix problems with familiar resources. With these people you could demonstrate value until you're blue in the face but it wouldn't help. - by Seth
I think that you have to show why it is a bad idea without saying that. I think you say great i think i can show you some things that might help you do it yourself. Then you show them how much it is going to cost and the time involved and they might switch their mind. And if they don't they will come back to you next time. - by benjamin-benjamin
We have to remember they called us which tells us they do not really want to do it themselves.Otherwise it would already be done.
A sharp angle close works great such as isn't that exactly why I should do this?Tell a story of how soeone tried to do the work only to spend all day running back and forth to the HC or hardware for parts and ended up calling for help.
Find the real concern and complete the job.Tell me is it the price? - by rich34232
If after going through the reasons for outsourcing (or at least the benefits of obtaining training so that skills transfer can take place) the two words I use in my field of internet marketing are:

"Good Luck"

(you've got my number if you need me in the future msnwnk; )

...and yes, I've had old prospects come back and say "I wish I'd listened to you..." - lets chat... - by Tonyd
I guess I'm going to be the black calf here...

The first point I would like to make is that most sales training programs don't produce much more than temporary results if that.

I have interview numerous Sales VPs on this question and when pinned down they all come to the same conclusion -- training is a necessary evil that is looked at as an expense for exactly the reasons above.

I will be the first to agree that there are incredibly important reasons for bringing in an outside resource.

However, those reasons are trumped with the outside resource can't produce a real ROI that can easily be seen.

On the other hand, if one knows how and what to do the absolute best training and results are produced by an internal NOT and external program.

This fact is even more true based on the defects in the current sales training model.

A competent inside sales manager who is a decent salesperson using the right methods can get visible results in the span of 3-4 weeks with just one hour per week working with the team.

In fact, the right methodology will generate remarkable results far more that any external trainer will likely achieve. And it will be permanent results.

It's not a question of outsourcing or doing it yourself -- it is a question of using the right model at which point you barely need any skills except the ability to sell and to spot right from wrong in others calls (And of course the knowledge of what would be correct.).

With only that much you can achieve remarkable results and what's even better is; everyone including the manger will get better over time. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.