Home > Personal Development > Traits and Characteristics of Top Salespeople

Traits and Characteristics of Top Salespeople

What do you think are the basic traits or characteristics of a professional salesperson?

For instance:
1. Image
2. Enthusiasm
3. Product Knowledge
4. Empathy - by SpeedRacer
I would also add something about "authority." IMO, you have to come across as knowing what you're talking about. - by Mikey
Are you asking about the traits or characteristics desired by customers? - by Houston
Are you asking about the traits or characteristics desired by customers?
No. I was referring to the common traits or characteristics that professional salespeople share. - by SpeedRacer
How about "Thick Skin"? :p - by VB-Hack
I think that confidence is another trait that most professional salespeople have. - by Doc MC
I would add "Proactive" to the list. ;) - by Mikey
I would throw in something about a "Positive Attitude." When I say "Positive Attitude" what I mean is the opposite of a "p-i-s-s-y" attitude, if you know what I mean. ;) - by Newbie
RELENTLESSLY pleasant! :D - by RainMaker
Sales Aptitude and Intuition. :cool: - by SalesGuy
What do you think are the basic traits or characteristics of a professional salesperson?
How do you define "professional salesperson"?

Do you mean successful salesperson or committed to the profession, or something else? The term, "sales professional" is so widely used today, its meaning has become vague.

I think the traits would vary according to how you would define the term. - by Gary Boye
How do you define "professional salesperson"?

Do you mean successful salesperson or committed to the profession, or something else? The term, "sales professional" is so widely used today, its meaning has become vague.

I think the traits would vary according to how you would define the term.
I guess that is kind of vague. :o

If there is one thing I've learned from this forum it is that words carry different meanings for different people. ;)

I'll change the question to, "What do you think are the basic traits or characteristics of a highly productive salesperson?" - by SpeedRacer
"What do you think are the basic traits or characteristics of a highly productive salesperson?"
Traits?

Personality traits vary greatly among top performers in sales. It's extremely difficult to pinpoint any commonality. Perhaps it's impossible.

Common character traits are more observable. Two come to mind: A willingness to help others when asked--and--they keep their promises.

The most observable differences among the very top producers are these:
  • They act as the CEO's of their own businesses, in accordance with their own business choices and business decisions.
  • In their group or company, and among their peers, they function within their own infrastructure.
  • They pursue dominancy. They become accountable for an inordinate movement of product in their particular arena and environment. They donít just sell more. They sell an overwhelming amount more than their peers.
- by Gary Boye
"What do you think are the basic traits or characteristics of a highly productive salesperson?"
Among others; confident, honest and a willingness to be of service. - by Bulldog
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.