Home > Interview > Zig Ziglar's POGO Questions

Zig Ziglar's POGO Questions

I was reading a book review tonight that compared SPIN questions by Neil Rackham with POGO questions by Zig Ziglar.

I searched Google but came up dry. :(

What does the acronym POGO stand for and what kind of questions are they? - by Mikey
What does the acronym POGO stand for and what kind of questions are they?
As I understand it, "POGO" is about structuring the call opening around different categories of questions as represented by the acronym.

P = Person
O = Organization
G = Goals
O = Obstacles (to goals)

Does that help? - by SalesGuy
As I understand it, "POGO" is about structuring the call opening around different categories of questions as represented by the acronym.

P = Person
O = Organization
G = Goals
O = Obstacles (to goals)

Does that help?
Could you expand on that a little? - by Mikey
Could you expand on that a little?
Here is a link (Dead link removed by Moderator) to a Ziglar newsletter that briefly addresses this topic.

We use a process called POGO to structure the call. You ask questions about the Person, the Organization, the Goals and Obstacles to those goals. This is called "sell by design, not by chance." It gives you a direction on the call. You can modify the sequence of the questions depending on the personality of the prospect. Your opening may go like this: "Mr. Samson, thanks for meeting with me today. In order to gain the best results from this meeting, I'd like to ask you a few questions about yourself, your organization, some of the goals you've established in the area of paint and coatings. This will help determine the best way to serve you. Is twenty minutes still a good time frame?"
Mikey, I'm not a student of Zig but maybe someone else here is and can provide more detail. - by SalesGuy
Here is a link (Dead link removed by Moderator) to a Ziglar newsletter that briefly addresses this topic.

Mikey, I'm not a student of Zig but maybe someone else here is and can provide more detail.
That's cool. Thanks for the help. :) - by Mikey
Zig Zigler rules!:) - by Rothgar the Pacifist
He gave out advice regarding a closing technique. While he's right, technically speaking, he doesn't consider the big picture so his advice is misleading (the method isn't as effective, if it ever was, due to all the telemarketing going on a few years ago - with a simple adjustment, I've came up with a system which is "unbeatable" as was described by a colleague of mine).

So I guess I'm saying that his advice, where it counts the most, is passe. - by Wonderboy
He gave out advice regarding a closing technique. While he's right, technically speaking, he doesn't consider the big picture so his advice is misleading (the method isn't as effective, if it ever was, due to all the telemarketing going on a few years ago - with a simple adjustment, I've came up with a system which is "unbeatable" as was described by a colleague of mine).
How is your different and what makes it unbeatable? - by Marcus
1) It's different because it doesn't depend on any wording (with the proviso that an adjustment may be needed with the opening to take full advantage of the third step).

2) It's unbeatable because it works with an additional part of the brain to control a reflex (just like shining light upon the eye contracts the iris).

This should last until the next human evolution. - by Wonderboy
1) It's different because it doesn't depend on any wording (with the proviso that an adjustment may be needed with the opening to take full advantage of the third step).

2) It's unbeatable because it works with an additional part of the brain to control a reflex (just like shining light upon the eye contracts the iris).

This should last until the next human evolution.
Can you give an example? Please? :cu - by Thomas
Can you give an example? Please? :cu
Can I bump this? ;bl - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.