Home > Follow-up > Contact Management

Contact Management

I personally think for most solo sales professionals (i.e., those not a part of a local "team" or a massive enterprise with required systems for managing contacts and leads), there isn't a streamlined contact management system out there. Even the most popular contact manager, Act, is still bloated (too many features that go unused). So, I'm interested in knowing:

If you ARE currently using a software-based contact manager (Act, Goldmine, Maximizer, etc.):
  1. What features do you find are your must-haves?
  2. Which features do you completely ignore?
  3. Would you ever trust your data online (a web-based contact manager)?
Just curious about others' feelings about the options for contact management for individual sales professionals. Thanks for your responses. - by BrandonH
I personally think for most solo sales professionals (i.e., those not a part of a local "team" or a massive enterprise with required systems for managing contacts and leads), there isn't a streamlined contact management system out there.
I agree and if someone knows otherwise please let me know.
...ARE currently using a software-based contact manager (Act, Goldmine, Maximizer, etc.):
No, but I do have the ACT! software.
1. I would want the client's basic information (name, company, etc.) along with a "follow-up" chart.
2. I Dunno. :)
3. Yes, I would trust my data online.
Just curious about others' feelings about the options for contact management for individual sales professionals. Thanks for your responses.
In my opinion Lead Management, or mismanagement, is tremendously important for all sales professionals. - by Agent Smith
We have a custom web application. I don't like it much though. :(

I've tried ACT! and TopProducer but didn't like them either. Does anyone know about what real estate CRM is out there?

What features do you find are your must-haves?... I would like basic customer information with the oportunity to add custom and predetermined fields into an account when necessary.

Would you ever trust your data online (a web-based contact manager)?...I wouldn't have it any other way. - by AZBroker
In my opinion Lead Management, or mismanagement, is tremendously important for all sales professionals.
I just read this on Microsoft's website:
Every lead is precious, yet interviews with small businesses conducted by AMR Research reveal that small businesses do not follow up on up to 70 percent of all leads, representing as much as 1422 percent of annual revenue. This is because there is often no centralized place to track customer, account, and contact information.
- by AZBroker
I personally think for most solo sales professionals (i.e., those not a part of a local "team" or a massive enterprise with required systems for managing contacts and leads), there isn't a streamlined contact management system out there.
Have you looked into SalesForce.com ? - by Houston
Have you considered building your own web application? - by SalesGuy
I personally think for most solo sales professionals (i.e., those not a part of a local "team" or a massive enterprise with required systems for managing contacts and leads), there isn't a streamlined contact management system out there. Even the most popular contact manager, Act, is still bloated (too many features that go unused). So, I'm interested in knowing:

If you ARE currently using a software-based contact manager (Act, Goldmine, Maximizer, etc.):
Just curious about others' feelings about the options for contact management for individual sales professionals. Thanks for your responses.
I can't imagine any "general" CMS not being bloated in one way or another because the target audience is too general.

Which reports we want to run determines the data we need to capture. Imagine the great reports you could generate from just the data below :

Demographics
  • City, State, Zip
Sales Information
  • Product/Service Purchased
  • Sales Price
  • Time from first contact to sales date
Reasons for buying (Pie Chart)
  • Upgrade
  • Downgrade
  • Entering new markets
Reasons for not buying (Pie Chart)
  • Bought Elsewhere
  • Budget
  • Timing
Source of Lead (Pie Chart)
  • Company Website
  • Yellow Pages
  • Print Ad
We had a custom web-application built so that we could access the information from any computer with access to the Internet. - by SpeedRacer
Here's what prompted asking this question:

I want a VERY streamlined, online system that lets me do JUST a few things very well:
  1. Enter contacts.
  2. Enter a description of where I know the contact from (including other contacts in the database).
  3. Enter date-based notes on each contact. Dates can be in the past or future.
  4. "Tag" or group contacts (allowing for contacts to be a part of multiple groups).
  5. Invite other people to use the system, too, so when they update their info, I've got the latest data (like Plaxo).
  6. Temporarily or indefinitely "flag" selected contacts based on any criteria I want.
  7. Easily view (and/or create) quick reports based on any number of criteria (contacts alpha, by zip, by tag, by flag, etc.)
If you use Google's Gmail, I want a contact manager that works a lot like that. But I DON'T want it to include email capabilities or products and purchase histories. Just a who-I-know, where-I-know-them-from, and what-I've-got-going-on-with-them. A true CONTACT (or NETWORK manager, not a SALES management system.

I'm very picky. I don't to pay for Salesforce.com, I'm tired of Act, Goldmine and Maximizer.

Any suggestions? Or, anyone know any talented PHP/MySQL programmers who could create it? - by BrandonH
Any suggestions? Or, anyone know any talented PHP/MySQL programmers who could create it?
Interestingly, Brandon, I have felt the same way. I put a feeler out to a talented programmer I know... - by RainMaker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.