Home > Personal Selling > New Home Sales

New Home Sales

Hi, just wondering, is anyone here a new home sales person? It seems that most people are in business to business selling. I used to do business to business and loved it, I loved opening new accounts with clients that I had to make cold calls to get in the door with, I liked servicing the accounts and driving around and seeing new businesses. I took another direction with new home sales, and now I'm basically in an office waiting for visitors to come see the model homes. It's a totally different type of sale, just wondering if anyone else is in the same business and would like to chat about the industry and some of their experiences. MY experience with this business so far is that alot of the sales are random, since I work in an office with a partner, we take turns taking visitors (or Ups we call them) and who ever is at the right place at the right time, will get a customer who knows what they want and is ready to drop money down for a house. Many sales people in this industry do not even follow up with customers, lots of sales happen because a customer happened to come back on their own and buy the house. I know this because I do competition shops and leave phone numbers down for these people and I still have not recieved one follow up call. I'm not knocking these salespeople, b/c I am one of them, but I just think alot of the sales happen due to pure luck, while there are some that do require some salesmanship. In a b2b situation, the salesperson usually does not make a sale unless they pick up the phone and make those calls. In short, I feel like someone given the right market and product, can make 6 figures by merely being an order taker. Now with all that being said, we do earn our income after the contract as we do have to carry them through closing and the job does require lots of paperwork. I'm in fact looking to switch back to business to business because the job requires you to work EVERY weekend since that is when people are out looking at homes. Anyone else in this same industry that seems to feel the same or disagrees? - by halidon
MY experience with this business so far is that alot of the sales are random, since I work in an office with a partner, we take turns taking visitors (or Ups we call them) and who ever is at the right place at the right time, will get a customer who knows what they want and is ready to drop money down for a house.
My kids love to go to the bookstore, which is a great chance for me to browse sales books. I read a few chapters of a book (I do not remember the name of it), but it was about a kid from the wrong side of the tracks who got a job selling cars. He ditched the norm (hanging around the car lot bullshi**ing with the other salesman, waiting for an "up" to walk in) and blew them all to high heaven by doing something no one in the industry did at that time. He detached himself the socializing and instead, spent every spare minute between "ups" making calls, sending out mail pieces, and all other kinds of things (sorry details are blurry), so what started happening over time was he would get his swing at the bat with the pack, but in between "ups," sales started walking in the door asking for him by NAME--which doubled his number of "ups" and, of course, the ones that came in asking for him were very hot prospects.

I have no idea if that can be applied to your industry, but I thought you might like to hear about it. If you are interested, I will try to figure out what book that was. No doubt someone on this forum will chime in with the name. This is a well-read bunch. - by RainMaker
My kids love to go to the bookstore, which is a great chance for me to browse sales books. I read a few chapters of a book (I do not remember the name of it), but it was about a kid from the wrong side of the tracks who got a job selling cars. He ditched the norm (hanging around the car lot bullshi**ing with the other salesman, waiting for an "up" to walk in) and blew them all to high heaven by doing something no one in the industry did at that time. He detached himself the socializing and instead, spent every spare minute between "ups" making calls, sending out mail pieces, and all other kinds of things (sorry details are blurry), so what started happening over time was he would get his swing at the bat with the pack, but in between "ups," sales started walking in the door asking for him by NAME--which doubled his number of "ups" and, of course, the ones that came in asking for him were very hot prospects.

I have no idea if that can be applied to your industry, but I thought you might like to hear about it. If you are interested, I will try to figure out what book that was. No doubt someone on this forum will chime in with the name. This is a well-read bunch.
That sounds like it would be an excellent book to read, and sure, it can be applied to this industry. I do alot of mail outs and phone calls between ups and it does help a little, but not to the point where it's helped me dominate the other sales people plus with new home sales, we do not get the kind of traffic volume that a car dealership lot will have being that people do not look for homes every year so usually mail outs and phone calls can only keep me busy for so long until I run out of leads to follow up with. Realtor marketing helps too but only if you do them in mass amounts because ultimatley, it will be the realtors decision if they want to bring a client in to your community and alot of times it depends on which builder is offering a better bonus. WIth that being said, I have experienced months where I have used my time wisley by doing lots of follow up with prospects and still been outsold by a partner who did less follow up than I did because they had a lucky month, which we all have, I have had lucky months too. But I guess the only conlclusion so far is to be consistent in follow up and the long run will show who is working harder, but there really are months where sales will just fall in to someone's lap even if they are not being pro active in getting the sale. - by halidon
But I guess the only conlclusion so far is to be consistent in follow up and the long run will show who is working harder, but there really are months where sales will just fall in to someone's lap even if they are not being pro active in getting the sale.
It would be interesting to see if there is a difference over the long haul. I guess the only way to decide is to try it. It would stink try it for the long haul only to discover it did not have a meaningful impact. :( - by RainMaker
It would be interesting to see if there is a difference over the long haul. I guess the only way to decide is to try it. It would stink try it for the long haul only to discover it did not have a meaningful impact. :(
Just out of curiousity, what type of selling do you do rainmaker? - by halidon
Joe Girard is who that car salesman was I think. I read the book, but can't remember the name of it. - by klozerking
Just out of curiousity, what type of selling do you do rainmaker?
I offer low-cost online advertising to small businesses who are looking for measurable results from their advertising at a fraction of the cost of tradtional printed ads.

(ok, that was my elevator speech--developed with the help of this forum)

B2B sales. I am relatively new to sales. Still learning as I go. - by RainMaker
Yies! :eek: Waiting around for visitors to come see your product doesn't sound like my idea of fun. Unless of course you're being swamped with potential buyers. :D

I'm not familiar with "New Home" sales practices but I suspect there are successful new home agents in your town who do and that these agents would be willing to give out a few pointers to help an agent in need.

If that doesn't work out for you I would suggest that you take the bull by the horns and generate your own leads. Relying on someone else for leads can kill a sales career. ;) - by Agent Smith
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.