Home > Management > Sales Metrics

Sales Metrics

What general sales activities/results should a salesperson measure on an ongoing basis? I'm trying to put some charts together. Any feedback will be appreciated. - by tycoon01
tycoon01,

Depends on if you're talking solely new business development or account management as well. But for a typical outside salesperson generating new business, here's what you should be taking a look at:
  1. Phone cold calls (#)
  2. Contacts (# and %)
  3. Appointments Set (# and %)
  4. Appointments Completed (#)
  5. Presentations (# and %)
  6. Closes (# and %)
Obviously you can get carried away with tracking numbers, but if you're in an industry that demands high activity, you've got to keep tabs on your activity and success ratios.

Check out this and this...free tools for doing exactly what you're talking about. - by BrandonH
I would also track my progress towards a measurable goal such as gross commissions.

If I was generating my own leads I would track the source of leads for each new lead so I could get a handle on what is and is not working. - by Franklin
What general sales activities/results should a salesperson measure on an ongoing basis? I'm trying to put some charts together. Any feedback will be appreciated.
It's always good to know where you stack up in market share vs. the competition. When you gain market share, you're growing the territory for yourself and the company. That's the #1 benchmark I always used. Also, how many deals was I in, and how many did I win (closing percentage)

Susan - by susana
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.