Home > Jobs > Deciding between a new job or my current

Deciding between a new job or my current

Hi everyone, just thought I see if anyone could give me some input on this situation. I work for a home builder right now selling new homes, the money is extremely good but it is incredibly stressful work, i work every weekend with couple of days off during the week. I interviewed with another company last year for an account manager position, I was accepted after a grueling 2 day interview process at the company's corporate office which they flew me there all expense paid. I got accepted but turned down the job offer to work for this builder. A couple of months ago, when things really started look bleak for me at my current job, I once again came in contact with this company for a job opportunity, they were exited and gladly accepted me back into the interviewing process. I basically now have a decision to make, right now i'm making a 6 figure income but it's very stressful, I'm giving up every one of my weekends, and it's an inside sales position rather than outside sales so it's very much retail like. I can go with the other job offer and make aroudn 50k which is about half as much, but I would have my weekends back and I think I may like the job better. It's hard to take that big of a paycut to get my weekends back, I know no one here can tell me what I should do because in the end, it's about what's more important to me, but it always helps to get other people's input on things. - by halidon
What do you like most about your current employment? What do you like least? - by Jolly Roger
What do you like most about your current employment? What do you like least?
What I like most would have to be the financial rewards and the benefits, what I like least is working weekends and seeing everyone have a day off while i'm driving to work. - by halidon
Just a few ideas to kick around...

It looks like you've crossed this bridge once before and chose the route of the builder so... what has changed to make you question your decision? For instance, it appears that money and benefits were influencing factors in your original decision to choose the builder over the outside sales position. How have these influences diminished? What has taken their place? Why is that important to you?

Something else to consider... What is your ultimate objective? What do you want from your career? Time, Money, Freedom, ??? Why is that important to you? Will changing positions bring you closer or take you farther from this objective? - by Jolly Roger
Just a few ideas to kick around...

It looks like you've crossed this bridge once before and chose the route of the builder so... what has changed to make you question your decision? For instance, it appears that money and benefits were influencing factors in your original decision to choose the builder over the outside sales position. How have these influences diminished? What has taken their place? Why is that important to you?

Something else to consider... What is your ultimate objective? What do you want from your career? Time, Money, Freedom, ??? Why is that important to you? Will changing positions bring you closer or take you farther from this objective?
Well, the company midway through the year hired a new division president which changed our business model, because of that, there was a slight downsizing of the sales force and even more than that, many of the more tenured sales ppl have been quitting due to these recent changes. Basically these veterans who are accustomed to making 200k + a year would have their income capped due to a new planned production model. The company was always promoted as being very stable and being one of the best places to work. Even though I have survived the downsize, I can't help but feel my moral dip a little when I see people leaving left and right. I also did not anticipate the high levels of stress this job creates, I find my self constantly on my off days on the phone with buyers and realtors trying to overcome different issues.

If you asked me what my ultimate objective was before I started working, I would have said basically personal and professional development. It would really have nothing to do with money, but now it's a factor that I am accustomed to making a certain amount. But overall, my goals in life is still personal and proffesional development.

Those are some good things to think about though, thanks for bringing them up. - by halidon
I also did not anticipate the high levels of stress this job creates, I find my self constantly on my off days on the phone with buyers and realtors trying to overcome different issues.
That sounds like a recipe for burnout. :eek: - by SpeedRacer
Something else to consider... What is your ultimate objective? What do you want from your career? Time, Money, Freedom, ??? Why is that important to you? Will changing positions bring you closer or take you farther from this objective?
Halidon, I believe this is the most important consideration. Money is a trap. I have been in both places. When you are miserable, free flowing cash is only a consolation--it's not as much fun as it looks. On the other hand, when there is not enough to go around, it seems that it is all that matters.

I think it is clear that you want a change, but are afraid to take the leap. Do you like the picture of yourself asking the same questions 5 years from now? If not, I suggest you accept the pay cut in your mind and get to work figuring out how to take the job you like and turn it into the money you want, too. Then the picture down the road will work.

Just my opinion. Good luck. - by RainMaker
Halidon, I believe this is the most important consideration. Money is a trap. I have been in both places. When you are miserable, free flowing cash is only a consolation--it's not as much fun as it looks. On the other hand, when there is not enough to go around, it seems that it is all that matters.

I think it is clear that you want a change, but are afraid to take the leap. Do you like the picture of yourself asking the same questions 5 years from now? If not, I suggest you accept the pay cut in your mind and get to work figuring out how to take the job you like and turn it into the money you want, too. Then the picture down the road will work.

Just my opinion. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, you are all giving me some great points to think about. I appreciate it. Here are my two routes. I dont want to be inside selling homes the rest of my career, so

A.) I stick with the home selling business and get promoted to a Sales Manager within the next 2 - 3 years, that way I have managment experience under my belt and if I do decide to quit then, I at least may be able to find a different job at a managment level rather than entry level.

B.) Take a major pay cut, and work a more standard work week, Mon - fri
7 - 5 or so, and work my way up the ladder to making as much as I am right now. - by halidon
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.