Home > Personal Selling > Sales Activities vs. Selling Skills

Sales Activities vs. Selling Skills

Do you think more salespeople fail because they don't carry out the necessary sales activities (ie; get out and see the people) or because they lack the necessary selling skills (ie; questioning)? - by Jolly Roger
That was a tough one, Jolly, but I think step one (prospecting) weeds out the boys from the men (or women). Anyone who can successfully get through phase one and consistently place themselves into a selling situation is bound to get the hang of the rest of it. - by RainMaker
Do you think more salespeople fail because they don't carry out the necessary sales activities (ie; get out and see the people) or because they lack the necessary selling skills (ie; questioning)?
I do believe that doing the needful is more important. I will add that when a person makes a true effort to acquire good selling skills, including sales conversation skills, they are usually less reluctant to get out there and do it.

RM's reply is something I also agree with and it has a different slant. - by Gary Boye
Excellent observation JR! :cool:

I do believe that doing the needful is more important. I will add that when a person makes a true effort to acquire good selling skills, including sales conversation skills, they are usually less reluctant to get out there and do it.

RM's reply is something I also agree with and it has a different slant.
That sound about right. ;) - by SalesGuy
Excellent observation JR! :cool:
Thanks. I believe this is an important point for salespeople to grasp.

I will add that when a person makes a true effort to acquire good selling skills, including sales conversation skills, they are usually less reluctant to get out there and do it.
I concur. :D Preparation leads to confidence. - by Jolly Roger
Thanks. I believe this is an important point for salespeople to grasp.
Is this something that most sales training covers? That is the first time I have read that. - by Liberty
That was a tough one, Jolly, but I think step one (prospecting) weeds out the boys from the men (or women). Anyone who can successfully get through phase one and consistently place themselves into a selling situation is bound to get the hang of the rest of it.
So maybe "sales training" should focus more on how to get yourself to consistently perform these needed activities than how to get someone to say "yes". - by Thomas
So maybe "sales training" should focus more on how to get yourself to consistently perform these needed activities than how to get someone to say "yes".
I do not feel these 2 activities are disconnected. In my work, I must call to make an appointment for the sales presentation. In order to get the appointment, someone must say "yes."

Same skills, different application--in my view. In the first case you are selling the appointment. The prospect must "buy" (his "yes" costs him "time" in this case; not "money.") On the presentation, he will say yes with money. - by RainMaker
So maybe "sales training" should focus more on how to get yourself to consistently perform these needed activities than how to get someone to say "yes".
You just described my new employee training. :D - by WobblyBox
You just described my new employee training.
That's one way to play the numbers game. I can actually see this working. Assuming of course that the activities and procedures being taught are conducive to a sale. - by Agent Smith
A salesman can NEVER be successful if they don't do the necessary activities.

A salesman can have some success if they do all of the activities that put them in selling situations but are clueless about selling skills. Think about the last time you bought something you knew you really wanted and had researched before talking to the salesman. That salesman would have to do some really bad things to lose that sale.

In addition, the salesman that focuses on the necessary activities will get better at the necessary skills over time. - by Derek
A salesman can NEVER be successful if they don't do the necessary activities.

A salesman can have some success if they do all of the activities that put them in selling situations but are clueless about selling skills. Think about the last time you bought something you knew you really wanted and had researched before talking to the salesman. That salesman would have to do some really bad things to lose that sale.

In addition, the salesman that focuses on the necessary activities will get better at the necessary skills over time.
Exactly! :cool: - by Agent Smith
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.