Home > Social Influence > Persuasion in selling

Persuasion in selling

The use of persuasion in selling comes up a lot in sales material and discussions. However, other than Cialdini's Principles [Reciprocation, Consistency, Social Proof, Liking, Authority, Scarcity] no specific techniques, skills, concepts, etc. are ever mentioned.

For those who have ever used, experienced, or read about persuasion in selling can you provide any specific examples of the techniques, skills, concepts, etc.? - by Agent Smith
The use of persuasion in selling comes up a lot in sales material and discussions. However, other than Cialdini's Principles [Reciprocation, Consistency, Social Proof, Liking, Authority, Scarcity] no specific techniques, skills, concepts, etc. are ever mentioned.

For those who have ever used, experienced, or read about persuasion in selling can you provide any specific examples of the techniques, skills, concepts, etc.?
Besides Cialdini's Principles check into Michael Hall's, "Mind Lines".

One example is "Re-Framing". For instance, a customer at a automobile repair shop voices the common objection of, "Your Price is Too High" (relative to expectations).

You can reframe this objection with something like, "The price for replacing this part might seem high now but the cost of replacing your entire motor because you allowed this to continue will be even higher." - by SalesGuy
"The price for replacing this part might seem high now but the cost of replacing your entire motor because you allowed this to continue will be even higher."
Ouch! Where do I sign? :D - by Agent Smith
Selling is life.Whether it's getting a date,getting the kids to do their chores and homework,getting a job etc.It's all through the use of sales skills.We need to be able to persuade,inspire,and motivate in sales as well as in our everyday lives just to get by and more than that to lead happy and prosperous lives. thmbp2; - by salesninja
Selling is life.Whether it's getting a date,getting the kids to do their chores and homework,getting a job etc.It's all through the use of sales skills.We need to be able to persuade,inspire,and motivate in sales as well as in our everyday lives just to get by and more than that to lead happy and prosperous lives. thmbp2;

I love it! Let's just replace persuasion with Inspire in everything!

Man, you just have to love well tuned turns! - by Ed Callais
you need to align yourself with peoples current beliefs first before you try to persuade them to agree with yours.

example:

Prospect buyer: "I"m busy right now"

YOU: "not a problem, I UNDERSTAND. I'm very busy myself and I actually just received your online application for health insurance. at the moment do you have any health insurance?"

that takes care of getting passed the initial BS objection... now its time to persuade.

Prospect buyer: "yes" or "no"

YOU:if yes- "Fantastic! who's your coverage through?" if no "whens the last time that you had coverage"

Prospect buyer: "XYZ insurance"

YOU: "Oh thats a great company. I've heard a lot of positive things about them. Why are you looking to change?"(Target the Problem)

prospect: "rates are too high"

now you have targeted the problem...this is what your pitch should focus on.

to be continued...(going out to dinner)

ill be back to finish up.

But for now just remember that the words you use and the questions you ask will ultimately determine what mental state your client will have...MAKE YOUR CUSTOMERS CLOSE THEMSELVES BY THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK. PEOPLE HATE GOING BACK ON THEIR WORD (you look like an idiot when you do) so get people to verbally COMMIT to you by asking questions that require an answer which creates a small commitment such as "would you rather have an effective date of the 1st or the 15th?" rather than "when do you want the effective date to be?"

- by Steez
I believe that the biggest part of persuasion is rapport. There are many NLP techniques that are used to get this like matching and mirroring. But the best persuasion technique is by far story telling. Check out "The Story Factor" - by Jorel
Selling is life.Whether it's getting a date,getting the kids to do their chores and homework,getting a job etc.It's all through the use of sales skills.We need to be able to persuade,inspire,and motivate in sales as well as in our everyday lives just to get by and more than that to lead happy and prosperous lives. thmbp2;
When you have an abundance of prospects who already want what you have to offer, they don't tolerate persuasion. It gets in the way of mutual trust, mutual repect and mutual commitment, which are the three most important buying decision factors. - by JacquesWerth
When you have an abundance of prospects who already want what you have to offer, they don't tolerate persuasion. It gets in the way of mutual trust, mutual repect and mutual commitment, which are the three most important buying decision factors.

When you have an abundance of prospects who already want what you have to offer you have great marketing skills not great sales skills.

If you have an abundance of prospects who already need what you have to offer all you need is an order taker not a sales person. - by Jorel
When you have an abundance of prospects who already want what you have to offer you have great marketing skills not great sales skills.

If you have an abundance of prospects who already need what you have to offer all you need is an order taker not a sales person. -- poster

Having a product with a buying market is an objective fact and has nothing to do with marketing or sales skills. Locating that market has to do with: advertising, marketing or prospecting skills depending on what you do to locate your market.

When purchasing happens people have been located who want something and mutual conditions of satisfaction and responsibility are concluded as people conclude any kind of exchange in a mature and satisfying relationship, which is the selling part of the order taking.

The best of the best to everyone.

MitchM - by MitchM
Yes, I agree MitchM. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.