Home > Public Relations > Online press releases and targeted traffic

Online press releases and targeted traffic

Hi,

Is anybody here involved into online press releases here?

If yes, do you notice the nice change in traffic for your keyword/key phrase you promote in your press release?

What PR services do you use?

Thanks in advance. - by freetraff
Hi,

Is anybody here involved into online press releases here?

If yes, do you notice the nice change in traffic for your keyword/key phrase you promote in your press release?

What PR services do you use?

Thanks in advance.
Freetaff, this is something I have thought about, but haven't taken the time to dig in to. Can you encapsulate this process for me? For example, is this the same process as article submission--only with press releases? What services do you use? - by RainMaker
I am only getting experience with it right now, but some results were nice.

Press release submission has much in common with article submission, but press release souldn't be advertising and must have some interesting news inside.

One of press releases I submitted recently gave me to 2nd page in Google for my keyword. 2nd page is not the best result, still nice.

I am getting more info, tips, ideas, experiences on this. - by freetraff
Thanks for nice resources everybody. If you find something new, don't be shy and share it with us. I'll do the same.

Community rocks. - by freetraff
Jeff is a great guy and so are you freetraff, keep on posting here! :o

We are glad to have you! - by anthonycea
I've used a few, but mainly PRweb.com - by cs_obd
I, too, am interested in hearing more from people who are using press releases. I am in the process of working with a local online pr firm and one of the strategies they have suggested in monthly press release submission. The only experience I have with this process is submitting a PR myself to prweb.com last year when my business opened. It makes sense, though, that if my company can generate monthly PR (I am looking at starting a new program) that submission of press releases might yield some good exposure. I am going to try it.

Kathy - by TheWildBonBon
I, too, am interested in hearing more from people who are using press releases. I am in the process of working with a local online pr firm and one of the strategies they have suggested in monthly press release submission. The only experience I have with this process is submitting a PR myself to prweb.com last year when my business opened. It makes sense, though, that if my company can generate monthly PR (I am looking at starting a new program) that submission of press releases might yield some good exposure. I am going to try it.

Kathy
Kathy, it's been a while since your post, did you get around to starting a new program? - by Jeff Blackwell
Many industries have specific on-line Press Release services. The distribution is smaller, however it's much more focused and often worth your time and effort.

For my company, we use BusinessWire to get info out to our industry, and it gets picked up by major on-line news services. This gets our name into search engines, etc. However, we also use a smaller industry-specific service which gets picked up by a different, more focused group of on-line news services. - by Coda1108
BusinessWire is my pick as well, for the same reason.

Can press releases garner more web traffic? Definitely. How?

- You'll need a couple (not a lot) of carefully chosen, targeted keywords interspersed throughout your press release, and these words are the ones to be used to link back to your site.

- However you decide to promote your press release, you need to make sure the sites you are submitting to (a) are already highly ranked, (b) will link back to your site in exactly the way you've specified in your press release and (c) have a large amount of traffic that will expose your press release, company or message to new readers.

- Write about something that is actually newsworthy. Sure, your company may be 25 years old. But the question is (not to seem callous): why do I care? Making the reader care is the goal.

Writing press releases and submitting them to the freebie submission sites and/or creating your own media list is an extremely inexpensive way to get more bang for your online marketing buck.

I've written an article about free press release submission if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I cannot reprint the article here but here's the link:

http://entrepreneurs.suite101.com/blog.cfm/free_press_release_distribution

Bonny - by NetWriter
GREAT STUFF, NetWriter, thanks!!!!
Only thing I'd add with regard to content is to write the release, and especially the headline, from the vantage point of a customer receiving a benefit.

So for example, instead of my company (say it's ABC Umbrellas) releasing news of a corporate account as....

"ABC Umbrellas signs deal with SalesPracticeForum"

I would write....
"SalesPracticeForum keeping its employees and customers dry and happy for a small price"

Okay, I know the made up subject matter isn't quite exciting, but I hope you get the idea :) - by Coda1108
I do have some experience in online press release , but even while writing online we have to foucs whether we are writing for robots or reporters which does bring a huge change in your write up - by mtajim
I guess you are right about that point. It all depends on the reason why you are writing the press release in the first place. - by jimberan
I do have some experience in online press release , but even while writing online we have to foucs whether we are writing for robots or reporters which does bring a huge change in your write up
No reason a press release can't have a dual focus, both robots and readers. Sometimes, you need to include certain search-friendly text in the body of the release. However, you can still write it from your prospect's point of view. One has to keep in mind that writing for robots does it's job when a human reads the story. Then, it's important that story GRABS the attention of the user. This is why article titles are so important. - by Coda1108
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.