Home > Personal Selling > What to do????

What to do????

What to do? So ill start by telling you tthat Im a realtor. I was working to find a home for someone that I used to work with. Were not really "friends" but we get along good.

Anyways, I get a call today from the salesman at a new condo complex which I took the client to see 2 weeks ago with his response being that its too expensive.

So the salesman who took care of us 2 weeks ago called me and says "guess what, your client, is here looking again, with another realtor"

Now this I dont get, yes I get a cut if he bought from there cause I signed the registration with him, but why would he bring another realtor to the same place? Maybe I can understand if he was shopping around with another realtor, though he should have told me, but why go back to the same place I froze my *** off to show him 2 weeks ago with someone else?

So now im kinda ****ed, and I kinda say who cares.
Since I am new to real estate this has never happened to me....what to do? - by mario60185
It's very possible that they changed their minds and/or the other Realtor suggested the same development. I wouldn't sweat that too much.

The fact that they are with another Realtor is where I would focus my attention. By discovering their motives/reasons behind this action you might learn something that can help you in the future. - by AZBroker
Even if the other realtor suggested it why would they go again if they told me it was out of the question? Thats what Im trying to figure out.

Im sure many buyers use multiple agents, as the one who finds the right house is the one to get paid.

Just kinda ****ty that I did all this work for him and he goes to the same place again, and probably cut me out of my commission.

Im very new to this, havent even done my first transaction yet. So Im not sure what to think. - by mario60185

Just kinda ****ty that I did all this work for him and he goes to the same place again, and probably cut me out of my commission.

Im very new to this, havent even done my first transaction yet. So Im not sure what to think.
Mario, don't think ANYTHING. Just keep plugging away. Try to learn from each experience--if you can--but the biggest thing to learn is that sales is a numbers game. We don't count the numbers that don't buy--only those that DO. You cannot get the ones that will bring you financial reward until you've got a bunch of those other idiots crossed off your list.

Hang in there! I can't tell you the hours I have spent learning what NOT to do, but I have big list and all those things that didn't work (so far) are all getting crossed off.

There will be more, but you can't jump to the end of the story--each chapter builds on the previous--whether a failure or success--and all ultimately take you to where you want to be.

Where you are right now is where the ones who can't cut it jump off. Your choice. - by RainMaker
Even if the other realtor suggested it why would they go again if they told me it was out of the question? Thats what Im trying to figure out.
It might have been out of the question "then" but something changed.

Im sure many buyers use multiple agents, as the one who finds the right house is the one to get paid.
Only those who use agents that don't use a "Buyer Broker Agreement". ;)

Im very new to this, havent even done my first transaction yet. So Im not sure what to think.
This type of thing happens in the profession of sales. Luckily, in real estate we have the "Buyer Broker Agreement" to protect your time and resources. I bet a lot of other industries wish they had the same recourse. ;) - by AZBroker
Thank you both for your help. Im thinking maybe I will call him and try to get an agreement signed. Just for the hell of it.

And Rainmaker...your completely right. Thanks for the insight. - by mario60185
Thank you both for your help. Im thinking maybe I will call him and try to get an agreement signed. Just for the hell of it.

And Rainmaker...your completely right. Thanks for the insight.
Mario, just be honest with him and ask him what is going on.

It's possible another agent just happened to be at the right place at the right time and it was an impulse shop--it's possible he doesn't understand how real estate commissions work--it's possible he didn't like something you said, did, or didn't do--it's possible he's a total son-of-gun and couldn't care less about you and your time. Have a "heart to heart" and make him feel comfortable being frank with you. You may walk away with a loyal buyer. You may walk away happy that he is one less person wasting your time. But you will definitely walk away better off.

Go get 'em! - by RainMaker
The most important function of a real estate agent is how they deal with their clients, whether buyers or sellers. In other words, they need to be skillful salespeople.

The Realtors that we train always get a buyer's broker agreement signed before they do any work for a buyer. They get a listing agreement signed before they do any work for a seller. And, they make sure that the client understands what they are signing.

However, they don't even do that until:
1. They have determined whether the trust and respect the client.
2. They understand exactly what the client's buying or selling intentions are including who, what, where, when, why, how and how much.
3. The buyer/client is prequalified for a mortgage.

It is a good idea for you to have a talk with the buyer. However, I suggest that you do it in order to learn how to avoid this problem in the future. At this point, it is a real long shot that he will sign anything with you. - by JacquesWerth
The most important function of a real estate agent is how they deal with their clients, whether buyers or sellers. In other words, they need to be skillful salespeople.

The Realtors that we train always get a buyer's broker agreement signed before they do any work for a buyer. They get a listing agreement signed before they do any work for a seller. And, they make sure that the client understands what they are signing.

However, they don't even do that until:
1. They have determined whether the trust and respect the client.
2. They understand exactly what the client's buying or selling intentions are including who, what, where, when, why, how and how much.
3. The buyer/client is prequalified for a mortgage.

It is a good idea for you to have a talk with the buyer. However, I suggest that you do it in order to learn how to avoid this problem in the future. At this point, it is a real long shot that he will sign anything with you.
Excellent post, Jacques. - by RainMaker
Seems like my company's realtors are all ******s...most of them say they never use a contract for a buyer. - by mario60185
Probably because they are afraid of scaring them off by making them sign something. However, if the person is serious about buying and they trust you to get them the house that is best for them then I don't think they should have a problem with signing.

Also, don't base your career on what "most" of them say. Listen to the successful ones exclusively. However, the successful ones rarely give advice unless you ask. - by Derek
good point there....those people probably dont make that much money either. - by mario60185
Forgive my ignorance--the last time I bought a house there was no such thing as the buyer's agreement, and I am not in the real estate industry. I know the buyer's agreement states that the agent is acting on behalf of the buyer (which I think is a great innovation), but what protections does it afford to the agent? - by RainMaker
basically it says that for a specified amount of time, lets say 3 months, if the buyer aquires a home through me or anybody else, I would still be due a commission. - by mario60185
basically it says that for a specified amount of time, lets say 3 months, if the buyer aquires a home through me or anybody else, I would still be due a commission.
I need to get me one of those. :D

We sell manufactured homes and this would be great. - by Thomas
It is great, I thik the problem is people are scared to ask a client to sign anything. And clients are sometimes afraid of salespeople, so when they see a contract they might freak out.

But if its done right they should sign, and its going to be a rule of mine now to get one signed asap. - by mario60185
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.