Home > Presentation > Showing real estate

Showing real estate

If you were in real estate and you were going to show a buyer a home how would you do it? I mean would you tell them everything you knew about the home or would you just open the door and follow them around? Maybe something in between?

P.S. I know people in my office can answer my questions but I'd like to get feedback from as many people as possible. - by realtor
I am not a realtor, but I would hope you would know something about what the buyer wants before you take them out to show them homes. If you have that information, I would point out anything in the house that they said they wanted or didn't want.

Point out the benefits and detriments of each home you show them. - by Derek
If you were in real estate and you were going to show a buyer a home how would you do it? I mean would you tell them everything you knew about the home or would you just open the door and follow them around? Maybe something in between?
Probably something in between.

Most of the time you will be showing other agent's listings that you've never seen before and know little about. My suggestion is to "check out" the home with them instead of trying to "present" the home to them. Does that make sense? - by Agent Smith
Exactly what Agent Smith said. "Review" the home with them and relate aspects to their needs and wants. I just returned from showing a couple two homes this evening. They need a location in a specific school district and 3-bedrooms. They want large commom living space (living room, kitchen). THey desire modern, up-to-date.

All the while during the showin process you have to be sensitive to their comments and observations (basic: listen to the customer) and add that information into what you already know about them.

WOW! That was theraputic for me to actually write it all out! Sounds like I know what I'm doing :) - by WayneR
More great information. This is too cool. :co

Most of the time you will be showing other agent's listings that you've never seen before and know little about. My suggestion is to "check out" the home with them instead of trying to "present" the home to them. Does that make sense?
I think so. I have another showing tomorrow. I willl tell you how it goes down. - by realtor

Most of the time you will be showing other agent's listings that you've never seen before and know little about. My suggestion is to "check out" the home with them instead of trying to "present" the home to them. Does that make sense?
This is the same for us with Manufactured Homes. A lot of salespeople want to know "everything" about each property before they show the home. Not me. The less I know the better. ;co - by Thomas
This is the same for us with Manufactured Homes. A lot of salespeople want to know "everything" about each property before they show the home. Not me. The less I know the better. :co
Does knowing less help?

I had another showing yesterday. I followed the advice and reviewed the home with the buyer. That was a bit more enjoyable for me and I think it helped build a better relationship with the buyer too.

I did ask the buyer if that was the home they wanted and they said "no" but that's okay. Now I have an idea of what they don't want. :re

Thanks for the help everyone. ;sm - by realtor
I sat on an Open House today. That was like watching paint dry. :bo

One person did show up but she said she already had an agent. The idea of "checking out" the home with her didn't seem right so I basically just followed her around and tried to answer her questions. :bl What should I have done? - by realtor
I sat on an Open House today. That was like watching paint dry. :bo
Next time you might bring a list of FSBOs/Expireds to call. That or a TV. :yi

One person did show up but she said she already had an agent. The idea of "checking out" the home with her didn't seem right so I basically just followed her around and tried to answer her questions. :bl What should I have done?
If she was already working with an agent then "show and tell" is all you could do. Don't beat yourself up. - by Houston
Next time you might bring a list of FSBOs/Expireds to call. That or a TV. :yi
I'm all over it. ;bg - by realtor
I know this is an old post, but I'd like to say something about it from the home buyer's perspective. (Having gone through it a year ago) The house I bought was one I chose from an online listing and my realtor had never been in it before. I appreciated the fact that he let me look around all I wanted to and then was honest in things he saw "wrong" or needing attention.

*If* he had already known the house, I think I would have preferred being allowed to take enough time to look around on my own (which I did) but then hear the problems listed so I could make a decision. I would not want all the good things pointed out until I loved the house and then be ripped down by the problems. That's just me... others may not agree. ;sm That may sound like a contradiction, but I wouldn't have wanted him pointing out all kinds of things he knew I wanted right off the bat. I would have felt tricked. - by destiny
It is only deviating slightly from the subject here, but I had a rather rural, rustic type cottage that had loads of work done but needed more.

One agent, who had taken photos of the inside etc for the brochure, had real trouble selling it.
I got another agent. She took no photos of the inside at all.
'Best left to the prospective buyers imagination' she said.
They will think the worst, when it's actually nearly finished.

She was right. Second couple who viewed, put an offer in for 35k over what the previous agent had failed to reach. - by Dolly
The house I bought was one I chose from an online listing and my realtor had never been in it before. I appreciated the fact that he let me look around all I wanted to and then was honest in things he saw "wrong" or needing attention.
I like this way of showing. Sometimes I feel like I'm part of the decision or a family member helping out. - by Thomas
How did I miss this thread? :cu

I agree with Agent Smith and WayneR's comments. - by AZBroker
I wouldn't want to know everything about a home until I decided that it was a possibility. - by Marcus
I wouldn't want to know everything about a home until I decided that it was a possibility.
How much would you want to know? - by Agent Smith
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.