Home > Interview > Sales questions to always ask.

Sales questions to always ask.

If you were working with a real estate buyer what questions would you always ask? There are the easy ones like what do you want and how much do you want to spend but what else would you ask?

P.S. I know people in my office can answer my questions but I'd like to get feedback from as many people as possible. - by realtor
I'm gonna leave this one for someone else :), but don't ask how much they want to spend. Instead, ask how much they plan on investing. Afterall, a home is an investment right? - by EXP Creative
If you were working with a real estate buyer what questions would you always ask? There are the easy ones like what do you want and how much do you want to spend but what else would you ask?

P.S. I know people in my office can answer my questions but I'd like to get feedback from as many people as possible.
At the very least you want to find out what the client "wants", what the client will "qualify" for and "when" the client will/can close. Don't leave the office without this information. - by Agent Smith
Investing - wants - qualify - when, got it and will do. :wi Thank you again. - by realtor
On a more personal note, I'd be inclined to learn more about the customer, apart from the sales information you're trying to get (qualifying). For me, a big part of a large sale (such as property) is connecting with the customer and building repoire and trust.

I'll qualify that with: I've never sold real estate. - by klorpet
On a more personal note, I'd be inclined to learn more about the customer, apart from the sales information you're trying to get (qualifying). For me, a big part of a large sale (such as property) is connecting with the customer and building repoire and trust.
Do you have any certain questions that you tend to ask? - by realtor
For me, a big part of a large sale (such as property) is connecting with the customer and building repoire and trust.
I think Neil Rackham, the author of SPIN Selling, is of the same opinion. I know I am. ;) - by Agent Smith

P.S. I know people in my office can answer my questions but I'd like to get feedback from as many people as possible.
I've never sold real estate, so I don't know that I can help with specifics. My own experience with realtors, is that they're always trying to sell me more house than what I want (or need). If I've said I want to stay in a certain price range, that's what I want to spend. I stopped working w/ a realtor because they had finance people calling me to discuss 0% financing. This was to 'help me' buy more house.
I'm starting to rant, so I'll leave it here.
Point here--listen to the customer!! They'll tell you what they want and how much they want to spend.

Susan - by susana
Point here--listen to the customer!! They'll tell you what they want and how much they want to spend.
This does happen quite often and Susan makes a great point. ;) - by SalesGuy
I'd think it would be helpful to *you* as far as a sale is concerned to asked questions about what they would do with certain space. It seems it would maybe make a buyer envision that area with their own belongings? I can say this because when I bought real estate relatively recently, I was asked what I'd do with a really great extra room upstairs. I thought it over, envisioned a warm and cozy library there... I've always wanted a library and it helped me to fall in love with the house. Oh and yes, it certainly *is* a library today!

- Des ;co - by destiny

I would start off with have you been prequalified by a lender?

This will tell you if they are serious or not, there are too many looky loos out there, and some people seem to think that a Realtor's time is unimportant. It also gives me the price range that, that person can afford. So I do not waste their time or mine.

I would then ask them what is important about buying a home now?

This will give me an idea of why they are in the market now and let me know their reasons for purchasing a home.

I would then ask them how long have they been looking for a home and if they are working with any other Realtors.

I do this so I can see for myself what they liked or did not like about home they saw.

Also I would not work with a buyer who would not sign a buyer broker agreement. I know it is hard to believe but there are people out there who will have one Realtor drive them around and show them different properties only to have someone else like a friend or a discount broker write the offer for them. - by Jorel
Realtor
I'm with agent smith on this one. Rackham's stuff is spot on. I'm not talking from experience in real estate mind. I'd leave the money / invetment stuff til after you've made your connection / built a bit of rapport. Otherwise you may come over as just being interested in their money and not them. - by marky

My recomendation is LISTEN to the customer. Most realtors I have met talk to much.

Steve - by stevehilliar
My recomendation is LISTEN to the customer. Most realtors I have met talk to much.

Steve
I agree with Steve on this one. There is a famous saying in selling called "Selling is not Telling" I believe as vistors of the information age we tend to delete words a lot. Try this; Do not think of a purple elephant. Most people who hear that phrase can not help but think of a purple elephant (did you?) and disregard the "not" in the sentance. Same with "Selling is not telling" That is one reason I think Realtors talk too much. This goes to the subconcious level and most are not even aware of it because they have only been trained in the concious mind and try and sell features and benifits.

Also most the Realtors I personally know believe in asking questions. I also believe in this. The difference is they listen to the questions to try and sell the person. Where as I ask questions to try and understand the persons point of view so I can help them buy. I believe my clients don't like to be sold they perfer to buy according to what is important to them. This is a suttle but very important part that most Realtors and sales people miss. What would you rather do? Sell or have your clients buy? - by Jorel
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.