Home > Personal Selling > Who should I work with?

Who should I work with?

Over the last few weeks I've received over a dozen of what I thought were "low probability" buy calls. These callers were unfriendly, unrealistic, wouldn't meet at the office, etc. and so I handed them over to another agent. The other agent wrote contracts with seven of those leads. Doh! ;pi

I had a talk with the other agent and he said I should work with just about "everyone" who is qualified to buy. I can't argue with his results but some of those people were real shmucks.

Is this my future, working with schmucks because they can buy? - by realtor
Over the last few weeks I've received over a dozen of what I thought were "low probability" buy calls. These callers were unfriendly, unrealistic, wouldn't meet at the office, etc. and so I handed them over to another agent. The other agent wrote contracts with seven of those leads. Doh! ;pi

I had a talk with the other agent and he said I should work with just about "everyone" who is qualified to buy. I can't argue with his results but some of those people were real shmucks.

Is this my future, working with schmucks because they can buy?
You don't have to work with everyone... just those that you want to sell.;bg - by SalesGuy
Is this my future, working with shmucks because they can buy?
According to some Yiddish usages, it would be if you decide to become an urologist.

However, "shmuck" is often used in place of "jerk". To paraphrase a good friend: Don't ever underestimate the awesome buying power of jerks.

But the idea is to make a buck, and in all seriousness, you may be at a stage where you might want to fine tune your qualifying skills. - by Gary Boye
That's going to leave a bruise. ;st

As a professional, the ability to work well with others is critical. With different personalities and moods this isn't always easy. Have you considered caffeine? ;bg - by Houston
Yup! That's part of the job. - by AZBroker
I think you did the right thing... refer the schmucks to another agent and pick up the referral fee. That's what I do! ;wi - by Agent Smith
Well I guess that settles that. :sa ;sm - by realtor
Realtor, I think the others are right. You have to take the good with the bad. If you have a way to refer out the bad and still make a buck or two go for it. ;) - by Liberty
Realtor, I think the others are right. You have to take the good with the bad. If you have a way to refer out the bad and still make a buck or two go for it. ;)
Get a non-refundable deposit. Then you make money one way or the other. ;bg - by WobblyBox
Realtor, I think the others are right. You have to take the good with the bad. If you have a way to refer out the bad and still make a buck or two go for it. ;)
The willingness--and the ability--to deal with difficult prospects will generally result in achieving a higher income bracket in sales.

It's my personal belief that unwillingness to do certain beneficial things ultimately leads to a virtual inability to do those things.

One advantage of turning a difficult prospect over to someone with greater skills in that area is that it provides an opportunity to learn those skills by observing. It's common in many organizations or alliances to split the commission or profit--which places equal value on lead acquisition and the ability to convert the lead to a sale. - by Gary Boye
Realtor, I would have handed those leads of too. To me it's not worth the hassle and negativity. You made a good decision. - by Thomas
Realtor, I would have handed those leads of too. To me it's not worth the hassle and negativity. You made a good decision.
Regardless of who you decide to sell to, you want to make sure that by the end of the day.............your still enjoying your job. - by ginoayn
Hey, brand new here, but one thing I'm learning quickly is to make a game out of it and not let others' negativity affect me. Kyosaki said in reference to challenges and competition that "they force us to become better". I'm not the best closer, but I do my best under pressure and when an opponent enters the ring, it's game time. Will that wear off? - by Cyberstar
Hey, brand new here, but one thing I'm learning quickly is to make a game out of it and not let others' negativity affect me.
Good idea.

I'm not the best closer, but I do my best under pressure and when an opponent enters the ring, it's game time. Will that wear off?
Maybe if you let it. ;wi - by Mikey
I do my best under pressure and when an opponent enters the ring, it's game time. Will that wear off?
One thing to remember; the harder it is for you to gain entry the harder it is for your competitors as well.

Some of my best customers were hard _sses at first, now they are the best folks to work with. - by ginoayn
One thing to remember; the harder it is for you to gain entry the harder it is for your competitors as well.

Some of my best customers were hard _sses at first, now they are the best folks to work with.
Well stated, ginoayn. That is often the case. The tough ones often become the loyal ones--and a great source for unsolicited referrals. I can't remember a time when any prospect's words or attitude ever brought me discomfort. - by Gary Boye
I can't remember a time when any prospect's words or attitude ever brought me discomfort.
You might need to get out more often. ;bg - by Jolly Roger
You might need to get out more often. ;bg
Not at all. I did five full fledged eyeball to eyeball presentations today. These days I average about twenty per week in addition to other business activities. I've been working long hours in selling for over forty years. Thousands and thousands of prospects and sales. When I say that no prospect's attitude or words ever brought me discomfort, I'm being entirely truthful. I'm sharing my experience with the topic. - by Gary Boye
Not at all. I did five full fledged eyeball to eyeball presentations today. These days I average about twenty per week in addition to other business activities. I've been working long hours in selling for over forty years. Thousands and thousands of prospects and sales. When I say that no prospect's attitude or words ever brought me discomfort, I'm being entirely truthful. I'm sharing my experience with the topic.
Holy Crap... 40-Years! You must be a bazillionaire by now. ;st

If you say so then I believe you. I haven't been so fortunate. Over the years I've bumped into plenty of individuals, in life and in sales, who thought they could treat and-or talk to others in any fashion they wanted. :cr - by Jolly Roger
Back on topic... Realtor unless you work for someone who says otherwise no you don't have to work with schmucks just because they can buy. Even prostitutes get a choice. :yi ;st - by Jolly Roger
Holy Crap... 40-Years! You must be a bazillionaire by now. ;st
Not a bazillionaire--would you settle for old? - by Gary Boye
Not a bazillionaire--would you settle for old?
Sure, why not. Have a good one. ;bg - by Jolly Roger
Over the years I've bumped into plenty of individuals, in life and in sales, who thought they could treat and-or talk to others in any fashion they wanted. :cr
The easiest way to find these type of people is "Cold Calling". ;st - by Houston
The easiest way to find these type of people is "Cold Calling". ;st
Do hangups and doors slammed in your face count? ;bg - by Thomas
The easiest way to find these type of people is "Cold Calling". ;st
What is your cold calling method? Who are you calling and what are you saying? - by Derek
What is your cold calling method? Who are you calling and what are you saying?
I was referring to "cold calling" in general. I have found that people have a funny way of making up their minds about things beforehand. I think of it as a "prejudice". - by Houston
Speaking to a gatekeeper and directly asking for the DM (decision maker) is almost a waste of time. Try a different angle. - by ginoayn
Speaking to a gatekeeper and directly asking for the DM (decision maker) is almost a waste of time. Try a different angle.
How does that tie into this topic? - by Gary Boye
How does that tie into this topic?
LOL...

It really doesnt...

I think I was up way to late last night reading posts - by ginoayn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.