Home > Personal Selling > Sales Drought

Sales Drought

Sales Drought??? Who among you here experienced months of non-performance? How did you cope with the situation? Do you have inspiring stories to tell? Just wanted to hear them....Let's just say Ive had two consecutive months of drought in sales, January and February to be exact...the numbers are picking up this March but then I'm troubled by my quota. I figured that it would take another month or two to grow these new accounts to compensate for the deficit I incurred during the first two months of the year...oh boy! :yi - by Kahel
When you say "non-performance" does that mean you didn't get out and work or that you didn't get the results you wanted during that time? - by SalesGuy
Those are the times you want to use to work on your product, service, site etc. Improve what you can. Fix whatever you didn't like before. Stay positive and keep going. The draughts can be blessings in disguise. Sure, it's easier said than done, but in reality you will be thankful for some of the things you've done once business picks up again. The business owners who use their down time wisely, are often the ones who will survive when others fall by the wayside. - by MikeDammann
by "non-performance", i mean not getting the results you want... basically, not bringing in the numbers for the company...

i guess have to fine-tune a lot of the things that i do...

when you guys were starting out with sales, did you ever think that the profession was meant for those well-connected - by Kahel
You main focus should always be networking IMO. If you are not connected at this time, that can change when you work on it :) - by MikeDammann
...when you guys were starting out with sales, did you ever think that the profession was meant for those well-connected
That is not a concept I thought about when I first started out selling. Now, umpteen years later, I've come to believe that it's in my best interest to work smarter (referrals) not harder (cold calling). - by Liberty
Now, umpteen years later, I've come to believe that it's in my best interest to work smarter (referrals) not harder (cold calling).
i guess that's true... so you stopped cold calling? - by Kahel
i guess that's true... so you stopped cold calling?
No, but I did change my focus. At first I would say 80% of my activity was cold calling and 20% was working referrals. Now the numbers are almost reversed. - by Liberty
The well runs dry when I don't make enough new contacts - even then sometimes it runs dry because dry seasons are natural - during these I exercise more [I increase my morning hike from seven to eight miles and add another twenty minutes exercise to my daily work outs], I examine myself more, I read more, and I work on getting myself out prospecting more - it all works together.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
When I have experience dry spells in the past I often question what I'm doing differently. I evaluate what has been successful and what hasn't. What happens is just me going back to basics. Sometimes we tend to skip those all too important steps that we did when we first started. Of course we have to always expand our circle of influence. Networking is essential! Wishing you the best! - by tigerlily
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.