Home > Interview > I'll know it when I see it.

I'll know it when I see it.

Sometimes when I'm first working with a prospective Buyer and I ask them to describe the home they're looking for they give a real general answer that is followed by "I'll know it when I see it".

This poses an obvious problem for me because I don't know what to look for specifically and I don't intend on showing a hundred homes.

I've pressed for further clarification in many of these instances but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could say in this situation? - by realtor
"Mr. and Mrs. Client, what I want to do is help you find your ideal home. To help me better understand exactly what it is I will be looking for I'll need you to provide a few details. The more detail you can provide the better the chances of finding the home. So let's get started, please describe for me..." - by Mikey
I'm not a realtor, but...

I think you need a list of questions that you need answered by every potential buyer so that you know what they are looking for and can establish whether you are the right realtor to find them that property.

For example, How many bedrooms? Square Footage? School District? Yard? 2-Story, Ranch, Split? Price range? ...

If you ask these types of questions, you will never hear "I'll know it when I see it" - by Derek
I'm not a realtor, but...

I think you need a list of questions that you need answered by every potential buyer so that you know what they are looking for and can establish whether you are the right realtor to find them that property.

For example, How many bedrooms? Square Footage? School District? Yard? 2-Story, Ranch, Split? Price range? ...

If you ask these types of questions, you will never hear "I'll know it when I see it"
That's my problem. I do have a list of questions that I ask but sometimes the prospect says they're not sure but... "I'll know it when I see it" or something similar. - by realtor
What question are they responding that way too? I really can't see a rational person acting that way.

You: "How many bedrooms do you want in the home?"

Prospect: "I don't know. I'll know it when I see it."

You: "Okay we have listings for homes with anywhere from 2 - 14 bedrooms. Would you like to go to all of them."

Prospect: "Yes. Then I'll know it when I see it" - by Derek
What question are they responding that way too? I really can't see a rational person acting that way.
Let me give an example of how "irrational" these people can be:

Agent: What town do you want to live in?
Prospect: It doesn't matter. Anywhere in the valley.
**Our valley is approximately 60 miles wide with almost a dozen different towns. :yi - by realtor
Sometimes when I'm first working with a prospective Buyer and I ask them to describe the home they're looking for they give a real general answer that is followed by "I'll know it when I see it".

This poses an obvious problem for me because I don't know what to look for specifically and I don't intend on showing a hundred homes.

I've pressed for further clarification in many of these instances but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could say in this situation?
Every time I've encountered the "I'll know it when I see it" response it was voiced by a buyer who didn't have a clear idea of what he/she wanted. In these situations my general reply is something like, "Great, but how will I know it when I see it? What specifically am I looking for?" - by AZBroker
"Great, but how will I know it when I see it? What specifically am I looking for?"
Good reply. ;sm - by Thomas
I think you have to have questions to back up your questions. Let's say you ask what town they want to live in and they say anywhere in the valley. And, let's say that the west side of the valley is near the mountains, and the east side has lots of upscale restaurants and entertainment.

I'd ask things like:

What does your family do for fun? If they reply with nature-lover things, I'd say: would you enjoy being near the parks in the mountains?

I'd ask where the people work. If the commute to the office from the west side of the valley is 1 hour, I'd ask, If you lived in the west valley, how would you feel about the hour commute?

I think it's a matter of working backward. Think of all the critieria you use to recommend something, then make a list of questions that will get the client to describe those critieria.

Do you spend more time in the kitchen or playing with the kids in the backyard? That might tell you if they want a big yard more than a fantastic kitchen. If it's the big yard, you wouldn't show them anything in the planned "city street" suburb.

I think a lot of times people give pat answers because they're afraid of looking silly, or they really haven't thought the issues through. If you can identify the criteria you use to recommend a product, you can usually find questions to ask that will help you clarify the client's needs.

Kathleen - by KSA-Mktg
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.