Home > Education > Are there any SPIN Selling followers here?

Are there any SPIN Selling followers here?

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum. I would like to find some help with SPIN selling methods here so looking for this theory followers.

1. The first question maybe obvious is: does it work? :)

2. Do I have to make a rapport with a customer before going deeper and starting to ask Prolem or other questions?

Regards,

Eugene. - by Borisoff
There is a thread here on SPIN Selling:

http://www.salespractice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667

I'm afraid you won't find it to be much help, because in 19 posts nobody reported they finished the book. A few people said the were going to read it or were thinking of ordering it. The thread went off topic early with references to some other material that I responded to. I tried to get it back on the topic of SPIN, but nobody seemed interested.

If you use the Search feature here, you can find some threads that reference Rackham's Spin Selling, but I don't recall anyone sharing much information that wasn't on the early pages of the book--or reporting any practical experience with the system. - by Gary Boye
Not a complaint, Houston. It's an observation that there are more references to selling concepts here than there is sharing of practical experiences. I have yet to see one member here share their actual experience with SPIN selling even though it has been mentioned countless times.

I don't use the system. So I can't share my results with it. What is the use of talking about something if nobody seems to be engaged in it? You read SPIN Spelling a while ago, according to your post on that thread. I don't see you sharing your results and observations from it. And I don't see you answering Borisoff's two questions.

My comments are no reflection on Rackham's work. I did read his book and I view at as a viable system. I choose not to use it.

If you don't believe that the sharing of real life experiences in selling is more valuable to a forum like SalesPractice then tossing out the names of books and concepts, then you wouldn't understand. I trust that's not the case. - by Gary Boye
What is the use of talking about something if nobody seems to be engaged in it?
Ask better questions and you'll get better answers.

You read SPIN Spelling a while ago, according to your post on that thread. I don't see you sharing your results and observations from it. And I don't see you answering Borisoff's two questions.
I'll take care of that right now.

1. The first question maybe obvious is: does it work? :)

2. Do I have to make a rapport with a customer before going deeper and starting to ask Prolem or other questions?
Yes and Yes. Have you already read the book and developed your own questions? - by Houston
[quote=Houston]Ask better questions and you'll get better answers.
[quote]

I agree entirely. I think Borisoff should have asked: Are There Any SPIN Leaders Here?

I personally would love to hear comments drawn from real life experiences on SPIN Selling. I can't provide them or I would. Maybe it's an opportunity for SP to draw out comments from some of the hundreds of lurkers and members who don't post. Surely there are some who use the SPIN system effectively and are willing to share their experiences. - by Gary Boye
I agree entirely. I think Borisoff should have asked: Are There Any SPIN Leaders Here?
Borisoff's questions were about the SPIN model. Why do you feel he should have asked about SPIN leaders instead? - by Houston
I read the books (all of them), got through training programs and now looking for a forum where I can find SPINners to share the experience and get some advice. Do you know of any SPIN selling forums?

Regards,

Eugene. - by Borisoff
I read the books (all of them), got through training programs and now looking for a forum where I can find SPINners to share the experience and get some advice. Do you know of any SPIN selling forums?
I bet there are more SPINners here than others might have you believe. I've read the first book, listened to the CDs and am still going through the workbook. - by Houston
I read the books (all of them), got through training programs and now looking for a forum where I can find SPINners to share the experience and get some advice.
I've checked into SPIN and liked it. I didn't take the classes or workshops but I'd be interested in discussing the model. ;) - by SalesGuy
That's three. Anyone else? - by Houston
I've checked into SPIN and liked it. I didn't take the classes or workshops but I'd be interested in discussing the model. ;)
SalesGuy, I have heard it said by someone that SPIN Selling is just another "spin" on the consultative selling idea that's gotten a lot of play in the last several years. Now I know that "consultative" is rather ambiguous, but what are your thoughts there? Agree or not? I don't have an opinion. Where is it unique aside from assigning specific terms to the parts of the process? - by Gary Boye
Eugene, I'm interested.

Is the model viable? Sure.

Do you need to develop rapport? In general, yes. SPIN selling is about the larger sale, even though the concept works quite well elsewhere. Anyway, if you're going to be in bed with someone for a while (large sale) the two of you better get along and understand each other. - by Agent Smith
SalesGuy, I have heard it said by someone that SPIN Selling is just another "spin" on the consultative selling idea that's gotten a lot of play in the last several years. Now I know that "consultative" is rather ambiguous, but what are your thoughts there? Agree or not? I don't have an opinion. Where is it unique aside from assigning specific terms to the parts of the process?
I would not agree that SPIN is just another "spin" on the consultative selling idea.

When I think of SPIN Selling the phrase "pain development" comes to mind. When I think of Consultative Selling the word "adviser" comes to mind.

IMO, "Consultative Selling" is not a "process" but more a philosophy. - by SalesGuy
I've read the book. Isn't this how everyone sells? ;bg - by Slick
I've read the book. Isn't this how everyone sells? ;bg
Yes, SPIN looks like a natural sales model. :) - by Borisoff
Hi,
SPIN Selling's been around longer than most people think.
I read the book, and took a training class as part of a corporate learning opportunity.

I found myself applying several of its elements and structure often throughout the years. Then I took the Dale Carnegie Sales Training course. It's a bit similar to SPIN, however it focuses more on the value of what you're selling; and how to get prospects to see that value. Like SPIN, you lead prospects to seeing the value for themselves, but the Dale Carnegie Approach I find to be more applicable to more situations. Especially when it finds room to understand the buyer's true motivation of wanting to purchase your product or service.

To sum it up, the DC approach seems more genuine and less formulaic. When I used the SPIN techniques, I always felt like a stereotypical "salesman" but when I learned and began applying the DC approach, I felt I was just being honest with my prospects. - by Coda1108
I've always wondered what Dale Carnegie training was about. What is the difference in the approach that you found more applicable to more situations? - by Agent Smith
The basic difference in the approach is that with SPIN Selling, you're focusing on leading your prospect to figure out for himself how what you're selling benefits his business situation. DC has the same approach, however it ALSO includes how to uncover a buyer's true motivation, which leads not only to the value for his business; but for himself.

While a fine difference, it could make a world of difference in application. You may be speaking to two different people in the same organization. With SPIN, you'll have the same sales approach for both. With DC, you could have different approaches for each decision-maker because they might each have different motiviations for making the purchase. For example, a young early decision-maker might be shown how recommending a purchase would put a feather in his cap come employee evaluation time... But a more senior person, say an owner or executive level person, might be shown how using your product or service will enable him to focus on more big-picture decisions, and therefore is worth its price.

The value is different to different people, and the DC method helps you determine that individual value and therefore buying motivation. - by Coda1108
DC has the same approach, however it ALSO includes how to uncover a buyer's true motivation, which leads not only to the value for his business; but for himself.
How do they suggest you uncover a buyer's true motivation? - by Thomas
I would not agree that SPIN is just another "spin" on the consultative selling idea.

When I think of SPIN Selling the phrase "pain development" comes to mind. When I think of Consultative Selling the word "adviser" comes to mind.

IMO, "Consultative Selling" is not a "process" but more a philosophy.

IMO, consultative selling is about being a total resource for your customer. It's about being there for more than to make a sale. If you're in a business where long term relationships are key, then it's worth the time and effort to be a resource.
When I was selling shares in biz jets, being a resource with my current customers helped me get a lot of referrals. I can say, with some authority, among the millioniare's, it's EXPECTED that you will be more than just a sales person.

Cheers

Susan - by susana
IMO, consultative selling is about being a total resource for your customer. It's about being there for more than to make a sale. If you're in a business where long term relationships are key, then it's worth the time and effort to be a resource.
I can agree with that. ;) - by SalesGuy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.