Home > Education > My biggest challenge with SPIN Selling

My biggest challenge with SPIN Selling

My biggest challenge with SPIN Selling... is NOT the system or model. In fact, I would suggest that SPIN Selling is one of the best, if not the best, selling system out there today.

My biggest challenge with SPIN Selling was the material on, "Preliminaries: Opening the Call". I didn't think this was covered very well in the book. Considering how much research is presented on the other areas of selling I thought this could have been covered better.

Maybe this information is covered somewhere else besides the book. Does anyone know?

Moderators, this thread is not intended to be a rant or a flame. - by Houston
Houston, I think that part is not well-covered as well. My idea behind that is the one should get a rapport with a customer to ask questions. The customer will not talk to you openly if you didn't spent time trying to set up close relationship. Oneday I was planning a meeting with a prospect. I was introduced to him by my friend. I wasn't sure he was Problem Center or Power Center, or any :) So I was a lil bit unsure what type of question I should ask and how to start questioning... I called my Huthwaite coach and she told me that it's supposed that the first step is to get a close relationship with this customer before he answers my questions... So I invited him to pub. While drinking I understood he was a problem center and started asking problem questions I prepared for that case. Now we are friends and doing business. So my first stage of opening a call is going to a pub :)

Regards,

Eugene. - by Borisoff
Problem Center or Power Center? I don't remember reading about that. :sa - by Seth
Problem Center or Power Center? I don't remember reading about that. :sa
I can't recall hearing those terms either. Borisoff, are those terms covered in the original SPIN Selling book or are they something from your Huthwaite training? - by Agent Smith
That's original SPIN. I believe that's from Major Account Sales Strategy that covers more strategic plans. There're three major focus points: Focus of Receptivity, Focus of Dissatisfaction, and Power. And further major selling cycle. SPIN as a method is more for the first stage of the sale cycle.

Regards,

Eugene. - by Borisoff
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.