Home > Marketing > From Sales to Marketing

From Sales to Marketing

Hello,
I've had a successful B to B sales career for about 6 years - selling IT related products and services. I am considering a career change to Marketing because I think I will enjoy strategic/creative planning, positioning and promotion of products and services.

I need advice on a transition plan:
Which areas in marketing would you recommend?
Which industries would you recommend?
How can I leverage my sales experience in searching for a marketing role?
What additional skill must I possess?
What are some of the best ways to gain entry/experience in Marketing?

Thanks,
Conrad. - by Conrad
Hello,
I've had a successful B to B sales career for about 6 years - selling IT related products and services. I am considering a career change to Marketing because I think I will enjoy strategic/creative planning, positioning and promotion of products and services.

I need advice on a transition plan:
Which areas in marketing would you recommend?
How can I leverage my sales experience in searching for a marketing role?
What additional skill must I possess?
What are some of the best ways to gain entry/experience in Marketing?

Thanks,
Conrad.
Which areas in marketing are "you" interested in? Which industries are "you" interested in? Att he very least you can use your selling skills to get an appointment and present your capabilities and potential to a prospective employer. The skills you'll need will most likely be dictated by the position you seek. - by Agent Smith
Manufacturing, Service, Insurance, Direct Sales, or Automotive. - by SalesGuy
You should pick an industry that you have an abiding interest in. That will make it easier to market and more enjoyable to do market research.

Also, most large companies won't allow you to pick your exact path from the start. They have certain entry level positions, and then you have the opportunity to advance from there. Most marketing paths start with sales. So, you will most likely start in the sales department for the firm you choose.

Your sales experience will help you get the next sales job in the company/industry that you want. That job will teach you about the customers and products. Then with that knowledge you can advance into the marketing ranks. - by Derek
Manufacturing, Service, Insurance, Direct Sales, or Automotive.
I'll add "food industry" -- a real venue for innovation for the last few years--and continuing to be so. Key word: Change.

Opportunities in marketing abound in the presence of change.

If you have an interest, do some studies in the field of nutrition. - by Gary Boye
Yep, food, nutrition is big - competitive but lots of stuff to pick from and lots of niches. I go into the food marketing department of Western Michigan University and pick up a big colored tabloid sized publication on marketing in the food industry - there's lots of activity there and everyone eats something.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.