Home > Interview > Catching the Buyer's attention

Catching the Buyer's attention

What are the most important factors for you in order to catch the buyers' attention? I think that you need to study your niche in order to understand their needs and interests.. once you know this, you can plan a correct marketing strategy. Have you got any tips on how to accomplish this? - by falcon185
Your post is in sales interviews. Are you asking how to catch the prospects attention during the call or outside of the call? - by SalesGuy
You really need to talk in terms of the other person's interst to catch and hold their attention. You can ask them directlly about their wants and needs or you can try a common want or need for their type of business. - by fred
People are interested in themselves - their problems - so you find out that and talk about your solution by asking questions and listening and responding.

MitchM - by MitchM
Have you ever heard of "What's in it for me?" (WIIFM) ;) - by SpeedRacer
Of course - but all these letter things I see posted like WIIFM - that's what cracks me up - all over the place people post these acronyms like every one should know them.

MitchM - by MitchM
Of course - but all these letter things I see posted like WIIFM - that's what cracks me up - all over the place people post these acronyms like every one should know them.
Where is "all over the place"? - by fred
you are a person looking for precision - not general or unclear information, fred. Good for you. I see these acronyms [WIIFM] keyed in on posts such as you find on this forum and others, in emails people send to me, and in print material - to name a few.

MitchM LOL - by MitchM
Have you ever heard of "What's in it for me?" (WIIFM) ;)
Self-interest makes the world go 'round. ;wi - by Agent Smith
Thanks - I have heard of that just not the acryonym.

What's in it for me moves my friends Ion and Margaret who devote their lives to feeding the hungry and orphaned children of the world - they believe it's making a difference in the lives of real people and what's in it for them is a feeling of awe and love they give and get doing what they do.

We have so many friends who live by WIIFM in both personal financial and emotional needs and what they get back in emotional needs helping other people.

I know the feeling and I know the motivation - I just didn't know the acryonym.

MitchM - by MitchM
Self-interest makes the world go 'round. ;wi
Isn't that the truth. ;co - by SalesGuy
I run into that all the time - those people - I'm never offended, sometimes amused especially when it's so evident and there's no interest in my interest - it's that totally self-centered presenter who tries to be everything to everyone that always stands out when you know what to look for - very evident.

That's one reason sales types have been a turn off to me most of my life - they try in their own smug ways to befrend only to make a lousy sale - when you meet someone not like that isn't it a breath of fresh air.

MitchM - by MitchM
That's one reason sales types have been a turn off to me most of my life - they try in their own smug ways to befrend only to make a lousy sale...
I understand where you are coming from but that type of behavior, in my experience, is the exception not the rule. - by SalesGuy
In my experience it's been about fifty - fifty. Most people don't come to the buying situation with enough informtation - you know that and so does almost everyone in sales - so it's easy picking for lots of those type who take advantage of people. It's also true in the business I'm in - network marketing - so I understand it well.

The best self interest for me is about mutual other interest - some people do very well and could care less but they can sell.

MitchM - by MitchM
In my experience it's been about fifty - fifty.
Ouch! :yi I'm staying clear of MLM's. ;bg - by SalesGuy
A lot of people feel that way - a lot of people feel that way about corporate America or franchise America. Fortunately I've found a network marketing company I've been with ten years that would be a model company for other corporate or small business America companies.

MitchM - by MitchM
A lot of people feel that way - a lot of people feel that way about corporate America or franchise America.
Do you think that the general public is distrusting of these salespeople? - by SalesGuy
There's no question in my mind - maybe there have been studies, I dunno - that the general public mistrusts people in sales and in network marketing.

But I meant to say that a lot of people mistrust corporate positions and owning franchising as stable and long term ways to make a living - that's what I meant to say.

Back to my first paragraph, I believe it's common to mistrust someone selling a car or a suit or a house or a business in network marketing.

What do you think?

MitchM - by MitchM
Back to my first paragraph, I believe it's common to mistrust someone selling a car or a suit or a house or a business in network marketing.

What do you think?

MitchM
I think the general public is very distrusting of salespeople. - by SalesGuy
And the general public should be mistrusting of people in sales, network marketing - investing - we should be.

MitchM - by MitchM
And the general public should be mistrusting of people in sales, network marketing - investing - we should be.

MitchM
I agree, we should be. ;co - by SalesGuy
yea - especially CyberSalesGeeks who call themselves SalesGuy and wear sunglasses.

MitchM - by MitchM
yea - especially CyberSalesGeeks who call themselves SalesGuy and wear sunglasses.

MitchM
Yup, not to mention those vitamin peddling MLM's. ;st - by SalesGuy
I also agree with that - so much nutrition in MLMs and conventional marketing isn't worth much - there's no real science behind it, just generic formulaitons with a little tweek here and a little tweek there. The real shame is people using lots of stuff with very little value to it.

I also don't like the pushers of magic potents and miracle cures which often comes in the packages of network marketing companies - with a big buying Baby Boomer population there's lots of market there.

MitchM - by MitchM
I also agree with that - so much nutrition in MLMs and conventional marketing isn't worth much - there's no real science behind it, just generic formulaitons with a little tweek here and a little tweek there. The real shame is people using lots of stuff with very little value to it.

I also don't like the pushers of magic potents and miracle cures which often comes in the packages of network marketing companies - with a big buying Baby Boomer population there's lots of market there.

MitchM
What's a consumer to do? - by SalesGuy
I don't know! I really don't.

MitchM - by MitchM
I don't know! I really don't.

MitchM
I don't either. :( - by SalesGuy
There's no good answer - you can find 130,000,000 places online to find nutritional information - at least that many places - and I have one product line from a food science company to offer people with eighteen years of business and a trail of growth and stories and stats behind it.

BUT people want to compare and contrast this to that and that puts me in a position of having to play at being Mr. Nutrition which I'm not - it just doesn't work.

So from the consumer stand point, my wife and I just listened to people offer us this and that and with scant knowledge tried this and that - I had some laymen's knowledge of nutrition but so what. What's the value of that?

From the distributor's stand point all I can do is give the information I have and let them make a decision - if what we offer is what they want they get it.

SO my conclusion is as consumers we sometimes know exactly what we want - sometimes we don't - and even if it's exactly what we want we don't always end up happy with our decisions.

Do your best homework and jump in, consumer. There are probably some things more easily researched with definitive distinctions than others.

MitchM - by MitchM
Great post Mitch. ;wi - by SalesGuy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.