Home > Consumer Behavior > Phases of the Customer Decision Process

Phases of the Customer Decision Process

Neil wrote in "Major Account Sales Strategy" about distinct stages that buyers progress through when making a decision. The first three of these stages are -

1. Recognition of Needs - Example; "Do I need to do something about my car?"
2. Evaluation of Options - Example; "What are my choices? Do I fix it or should I buy something else?
3. Resolution of Concerns - Example; "What if there are hidden problems I didn't see? Will their service be as good as they say?"

These sound right. Would you agree or disagree that these are three stages that people go through when making a large purchase decision? - by Houston
Would you agree or disagree that these are three stages that people go through when making a large purchase decision?
How can you disagree with that? To me, this is a something all salespeople should understand and be prepared for. - by Agent Smith
I too would agree. In our field, real estate, this is most obvious when working with Sellers. I've always said that there are those who will [Evaluation of Options] use an agent and there are those who won't [Recognition of Needs] and you have to approach them differently. - by AZBroker
I too would agree. In our field, real estate, this is most obvious when working with Sellers. I've always said that there are those who will [Evaluation of Options] use an agent and there are those who won't [Recognition of Needs] and you have to approach them differently.
I've seen that happen. Some agents selling the service when they should be selling themselves and selling themselves when they should be selling the service. - by Houston
This is why I don't like the idea of canned presentations from start to finish. I'd rather have several pre-planned presentations that I use depending on the situation. - by Thomas
This is why I don't like the idea of canned presentations from start to finish. I'd rather have several pre-planned presentations that I use depending on the situation.
Thomas, your posts are objective and invariably well thought out, in my opinion. May I challenge you on what you just said? Not to challenge your preference against "canned" presentations--but the reason you stated. Is that the real source of your bias...or is it conditioning of sorts by a seemingly majority point of view about such presentations?

For instance I notice you use the word "canned" rather than "prepared" which would be a kinder way of saying it.

I don't mean to put you on the spot but I'm curious about the source of your bias. - by Gary Boye
Thomas, your posts are objective and invariably well thought out, in my opinion. May I challenge you on what you just said? Not to challenge your preference against "canned" presentations--but the reason you stated. Is that the real source of your bias...or is it conditioning of sorts by a seemingly majority point of view about such presentations?

For instance I notice you use the word "canned" rather than "prepared" which would be a kinder way of saying it.

I don't mean to put you on the spot but I'm curious about the source of your bias.
I think that giving a "canned" presentation from start to finish has to be one of the craziest things a salesperson could do. If you're going to do that why not just put it on a tape and let the people watch it on their tv? You'd probably do better because it's hard to get mad at a tv that doesn't listen to you. ;bg - by Thomas
This is why I don't like the idea of canned presentations from start to finish.
That sounds like a "monologue" not a "diologue".

I'd rather have several pre-planned presentations that I use depending on the situation.
I call these "mini-presentations" that you can mix and match. - by Houston
That sounds like a "monologue" not a "diologue".

I call these "mini-presentations" that you can mix and match.
Do you both believe thay a prepared presentation cannot be interactive? - by Gary Boye
Do you both believe thay a prepared presentation cannot be interactive?
I think a "prepared" presentation can be very interactive. I don't think a "canned presentation from start to finish" is designed to be interactive. - by Houston
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.