Home > Marketing > Grassroots marketing

Grassroots marketing

Will someone give me a defintion of grassroots marketing? I have heard it tossed around in various contexts. What's the textbook definition? - by RainMaker
Hello RainMaker. :)

Connecting with existing and prospective customers through non-mainstream media methods, grassroots marketing is also known as field marketing, word-of-mouth marketing, etc.

Grass roots marketing is characterized by non-traditional and extremely flexible marketing methods. Instead of focusing solely on making sales, grassroots marketing aims at building strong client relationships that will survive the test of time.

Advantages to grass roots marketing include gaining customer loyalty and involvement, consistent repeat business, increased sales, a potentially positive effect on the community, etc. By engaging in grassroots marketing, a company focuses more on nurturing relationships and developing higher quality market share that makes them less vulnerable to competitive attacks and external economic factors.
Source: http://www.onpoint-marketing.com/grassroots-marketing.htm - by Jeff Blackwell
Thanks for looking that up Jeff. The concept isn't new but I hadn't heard the term before. - by Agent Smith
Grassroots marketing is possibly considered a more old fashioned type of marketing as it stems from the times when technology played a less important or none existent part, in selling.

You were appealling more to a local market and succeeding at this level you would be more or less sunk. - by Dolly
Grassroots marketing is possibly considered a more old fashioned type of marketing as it stems from the times when technology played a less important or none existent part, in selling.
What kind of technology Dolly? - by Jolly Roger
Basically I was thinking of the communications systems and the way we can now market our businesses and reach our customers.

We have opened our businesses up to a global market, if of course we want to, but I do think it has been to the detriment of sales techniques to a great extent.

Also you have to consider the impact of credit and the means of utilizing that. If people didn't have access to credit, and the technology that makes it easy to use, then selling would become much more difficult and brought back to a grass roots level. - by Dolly
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.