Home > Resistance > We're going to use someone else objection

We're going to use someone else objection

I've run into a snag... when calling FSBOs some of the Sellers say that if they decide to use a Realtor that they have a friend in the business or have already promised the listing to someone else. Do you think I should move on to the next Seller or is it worth pursuing the lead? If you were to pursue these leads what would you say or how would you handle it? - by realtor
I've run into a snag... when calling FSBOs some of the Sellers say that if they decide to use a Realtor that they have a friend in the business or have already promised the listing to someone else. Do you think I should move on to the next Seller or is it worth pursuing the lead? If you were to pursue these leads what would you say or how would you handle it?
I would tell the person that I think that's a "good thing". That a lot of times some people forget the importance of "keeping a solemn promise". I would use those words. I would not paraphrase by uttering the much weaker "I can respect that..."

And then I would listen for them to tell me...."Well..it really wasn't a 'solemn' promise...

Many, I promise you will say exactly that. - by Gary Boye
I've run into a snag... when calling FSBOs some of the Sellers say that if they decide to use a Realtor that they have a friend in the business or have already promised the listing to someone else. Do you think I should move on to the next Seller or is it worth pursuing the lead? If you were to pursue these leads what would you say or how would you handle it?
Try this script by Jerry Bresser: "If you felt that someone else had a superior marketing strategy and could actually get you more money, a quicker sale and fewer problems, would you still be committed to listing with the other person?" - by saltydog
Try this script by Jerry Bresser: "If you felt that someone else had a superior marketing strategy and could actually get you more money, a quicker sale and fewer problems, would you still be committed to listing with the other person?"
That was fast. ;sm Thank you Gary and Saltydog. I'll run them both up the flag pole and see who salutes. ;bg - by realtor
Try this script by Jerry Bresser: "If you felt that someone else had a superior marketing strategy and could actually get you more money, a quicker sale and fewer problems, would you still be committed to listing with the other person?"
Hmmm... not bad at all. - by BossMan
realtor,

If the other suggestions don't work, I'd certainly put this type of prospect on a contact list - descriptions of your marketing plans, success stories with past listings, information about the market in your area - for e-mail, mail, telephone contact.

When they find it's not so easy to sell their house themselves, you may find that the person they promised the listing to was a phantom anyway, and you'll be top of mind.

Hope that helps.

Kathleen - by KSA-Mktg
Salty, that's top notch! Welcome to the forum. ;)

KSA, excellent idea. Top of mind awareness can win the day. ;) - by Agent Smith
Salty, that's top notch! Welcome to the forum. ;)
Thank you Agent Smith. P.S. I sent you a private message. - by saltydog
When they find it's not so easy to sell their house themselves, you may find that the person they promised the listing to was a phantom anyway, and you'll be top of mind.
Exactly. Probably a phantom more often than not. - by Gary Boye
Realtor, as I'm sure you've already discovered for yourself, there are some people that absolutely will not use the services of a Realtor come hell or high water. Some of these people will let you know this up front and others will hide behind excuses. Whatever you do I would suggest that you find a way to identify these folks as soon as possible to reduce or eliminate any future waste of resources.

Saltydog mentioned Jerry Bresser who I think has the most incredible training available for listing homes. Here is a Jerry Bresser script that might help you identify some of those folks who are deadset against using a Realtor. It's actually quite brief:
If I had a qualified buyer, willing to pay a price acceptable to you, would you accept such an offer through my company?
If that doesn't help let me know and I'll see if I can dig up some others. Good Luck with your FSBOs. ;co - by AZBroker
Here is a Jerry Bresser script that might help you identify some of those folks who are deadset against using a Realtor. It's actually quite brief:
If I had a qualified buyer, willing to pay a price acceptable to you, would you accept such an offer through my company?
;co
Although the intent seems to be the same, I believe that is much stronger than the previous Bresser script. This one can prompt an unveiling of the real issues, i.e. paying any commission. The previous one merely begs for an affirmative reply, but would probably be thwarted by some creative further resistance. - by Gary Boye
Realtor, as I'm sure you've already discovered for yourself, there are some people that absolutely will not use the services of a Realtor come hell or high water. Some of these people will let you know this up front and others will hide behind excuses. Whatever you do I would suggest that you find a way to identify these folks as soon as possible to reduce or eliminate any future waste of resources.
That is a fantastic script AZBroker for finding out if the prospect is being logical (Logic Check). :thu - by saltydog
That is a fantastic script AZBroker for finding out if the prospect is being logical (Logic Check). :thu
I can't take credit, that was Jerry's script. ;co - by AZBroker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.